Anil Kumble surprised Virat Kohli had reservations with his ‘style’, continuing as India coach

Anil Kumble said that he was informed of captain Virat Kohli's reservations with his style and "continuing as Head Coach" of the Indian cricket team. He said that the misunderstandings between him and Kohli meant that their partnership was "untenable."

By: Express Web Desk | Updated: June 21, 2017 10:39 am
India captain Virat Kohli along with team coach Anil Kumble in Dharamshala earlier this year. (Source: PTI)

Anil Kumble, after resigning as the head coach of the Indian cricket team, said that he had “always respected the role boundaries between the Captain and Coach.” In a strong statement posted on his Twitter account, Kumble said that he was informed by the BCCI that captain Virat Kohli had “reservations” with his style and “continuing as Head Coach.” Kumble had earlier in the evening stepped down as coach of the Indian side after taking up the role in June 2016 on a one-year contract.

Kumble said that he was informed of the doubts Kohli had about his role by the BCCI on Monday. “Though the BCCI attempted to resolve the misunderstandings between the Captain and me, it was apparent that the partnership was untenable, and I therefore believe it is best for me to move on. Professionalism, discipline, commitment, honesty, complementary skills and diverse views are the key traits that I bring to the table,” he said in the statement, “These need to be valued for the partnership to be effective.”

Kumble’s statement comes as a confirmation of reports of disagreements that Kohli had with him. Kohli had denied anything of the sort in a press conference during the ICC Champions Trophy. The BCCI had said earlier that the Cricket Advisory Committee consisting of Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman had endorsed a contract extension but Kumble turned it down.

Anil Kumble has had a successful tenure as the head coach of India. Under him, the team reached the summit of the ICC Test rankings, beating West Indies, New Zealand, England, Australia and Bangladesh. They also won the accompanying limited overs series and ended the recently concluded ICC Champions Trophy 2017 as runners up to Pakistan.

FULL STATEMENT:

“I am honoured by the confidence reposed in me by the CAC, in asking me to continue as Head Coach. The credit for the achievements of the last one year goes to the Captain, the entire team, coaching and support staff.

Post this intimation, I was informed for the first time yesterday by the BCCI that the Captain had reservations with my ‘style’ and about my continuing as the Head Coach. I was surprised since I had always respected the the role boundaries between Captain and Coach. Though the BCCI attempted to resolve the misunderstandings between the Captain and me, it was apparent that the partnership was untenable, and I therefore believe it is best for me to move on.

Professionalism, discipline, commitment, honesty, complementary skills and diverse views are the key traits I bring to the table. These need to be valued for the partnership to be effective. I see the Coach’s role akin to ‘holding a mirror’ to drive self-improvement in the team’s interest.

In light of these ‘reservations’, I believe it is best I hand over this responsibility to whomever the CAC and BCCI deem fit.

Let me reiterate that it has been an absolute privilege to have served as Head Coach for the last one year. I thank the CAC, BCCI, CoA and all concerned.

I also wish to thank the innumerable followers of Indian cricket for their continued support. I will remain a well-wisher of the great cricketing tradition of my country forever. ”

India are now in West Indies, without a coach, to play five ODIs and a single T20 before tours later in the year against Sri Lanka and South Africa.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

1. C
    Candy
    Jun 21, 2017 at 6:40 pm
    Anil Kumble Knows his tenure is for One Year, if he has the intention to take over for a Long time he shouldn't accepted the offer. and also this Young Generation Indian Team including Dhoni Needs a coach who needs to be a head shaker for all their words. That's why Dravid is Brilliantly Ignored the Coach Offer. Anil is Greed of any position he needs to retain in Cricket Administration to earn Money. As per Lodha Reccomendation, BCCI should have sent a Notice to Anil not to be a Mentor of Mumbai Indians since he is a Coach of Indian Cricket team which may influence Mumbai Indians Team players Inclusion in Team's Selection. Same way Kohli also should be stopped Playing IPL which may Influence RCB Players in Selection for Indian Team how Team Dhoni's (i.e.Srini's)Chennai Super Kings Players has been selected in Indian Cricket team during Dhoni's Tenure.
    1. G
      Gordon A
      Jun 21, 2017 at 5:16 pm
      BCCI should not have bowed to egoistic Kohli n disgraced the pure legend of Indian cricket Hon Anil Kumble. Anil was hired for a job n if any player disagree with his coaching methods let it be the captain or any hero worshiped millionaire of a player .. that player should have stepped aside leaving room for many talented Indian cricketers to fill their slot and take advantage of Anil' coaching skills. My wish is that Anil gets an offer outside India as a bowling coach to share his expertise n excel, as the current babes of the Indian team does not deserve to have Anil as their coach. Bcci, Kohli n Co will soon realize the b er they have committed and call Anil a traitor when he accepts a coaching position outside India. ... mural, mahela, vaz n Sanga were at the receiving end by the SL board .. Anil be prepared. Shame on you BCCI , shame on you Kohli you think you have jointly succeeded in removing Anil. never let's see who will have the last laugh.. God be with you Anil
        Pradeep Chaturvedi
        Jun 21, 2017 at 1:49 pm
        JOB of high profile Cricket coach is demanding pressure-cooker atmosphere . EGOs clash nothing more than that. Kohli is unfit to be a captain of great Indian side , Lacks maturity keen on making money girl friends going down the ladder in form Indians genetically are very rude impolite arrogant power goes to their swollen heads . On any day Kumble over Kohli-Chandni Chowk ka chokra
          manian
          Jun 21, 2017 at 9:51 am
          However much one may deny there is always a north south divide in cricket affairs.Bomay Delhi lobbies always dominate,making it difficult for somebody from south to continue.This happened earlir too with Dravid as the captain of the Indian team
          1. G
            geekay
            Jun 21, 2017 at 9:17 am
            soon virat kohli has to suck his own such a timid person now days .
              sri
              Jun 21, 2017 at 8:24 am
              This incident could be the turning point in the Indian cricket history . The ego clash between a legend and a professional with the upcoming promising star could change the landscape of cricket administration in India.
              1. U
                Unkn0wn
                Jun 21, 2017 at 6:06 am
                Dear Kumble sir U have done a great job for last 1 yr. So we respect u for ur records. But ur resignation has also endorsed some high post of BCCI who resigned earlier for some similar reason. I hope Indian cricket lovers will convey some good lessons to their beloved captain.
                1. C
                  Chander Pal
                  Jun 21, 2017 at 5:46 am
                  Warning is for the next coach, be ready to be mistreated. And now warning is to the persons heading the board that captain is a captain and coach is a coach. Do not overlook bullying