Member of the Cricket Advisory Committee and former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Thursday said that stepping down from the post of Indian cricket team’s head coach was Anil Kumble’s personal decision.
“He has resigned at the last minute, it’s his personal decision. I don’t want to talk on this matter,” Ganguly, who had picked Kumble as part of the CAC last year, said at CAB.
Kumble had resigned from the post of the India’s head coach after a fallout with Indian captain Virat Kohli. In a statement he later posted on Twitter, Kumble had said that Kohli had reservations about his coach ‘style. He added later added that he resigns with immediate effect and will not go with the team to the tour of West Indies.
BCCI had invited applications for the post of coach before the Champions Trophy as they did not renew Kumble’s contract. It was expected that Kumble will continue till the West Indies tour.
The CAC will now have to review applications to pick a new coach for India. The team will go without a head coach to West Indies but BCCI said that the team will have a coach before the team’s tour of Sri Lanka next month.
Virender Sehwag is the leading name in the race while foreigners like Tom Moody have also put their name in the race. It is yet to be decided when the CAC will meet to pick the coach.