With less than a month left before it hosts its first Test match, the Andhra Cricket Association, which was recently mired in a pitch controversy, is leaving no stone unturned to make it a success. Ahead of the India-England November 17 Test, the Dr YSR ACA-VDCA face a litmus test tomorrow as they host the five-match ODI series decider against New Zealand.
“We hope to pass with flying colours,” ACA secretary and BCCI vice president G Gangaraju, also an MLA from Naraspuram told PTI.
“The (Ranji match) controversy was just because of confusion between the local and the Board curator. The pitch for tomorrow’s match and the Test next month are completely different.”
The pitch made headlines for all the wrong reasons when Rajasthan skittled out Assam for 69 in their second innings in a Ranji Trophy match ending inside three days.
17 wickets fell on a day that included 11 in LBWs, and former India spinner and Assam coach Sunil Joshi questioned the stadium’s ability to host an ODI in two weeks’ time.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“The wicket was not rolled properly following a confusion. One wanted to use heavy roller while the other a light one.”
Since then BCCI’s curator K Sriram is supervising the wicket and is here for a fortnight.
“He will be here till the Test. There is no apprehension whatsoever. It’s a fresh wicket tailormade for batting. I promise you at least 260-270 runs tomorrow,” Gangaraju said.
Chief national selector MSK Prasad, the most popular face in Andhra cricket, had a close look at the pitch this morning.
“He expressed his satisfaction at the wicket and the stadium is ready for the Test match,” Gangaraju concluded.
The 28,000 capacity stadium hopes to get full house on all five days, come November and the ACA have plans to bring in about 5-6,000 school and college children.
Hailing the Board’s move to award Tests to small centres, the selection committee chairman told PTI: “Indore Test has shown that the popularity has not diminished.
“It’s really a noble gesture by the BCCI to award Tests to tier-two cities. We have seen top cricketers coming from such cities. We expect an overwhelming response. All credit to the ACA.”
Elaborating the development plans undertaken by the ACA, the chief selector said they have 18 first-class grounds and four residential academies of which Guntur caters to only women boarders. The other three academies being Kadapa, Guntur, Vizianagaram Mangalagiri.
“(Former India u-19 captain) Ricky Bhui is a product of the academy,” he signed off.