Abhinav Mukund slams racism, says ‘fair isn’t the only lovely or handsome’

Racism exists and is increasing at an alarming rate and unless checked might take the form of another social evil. The latest Indian sportstar to come out and speak on the issue is Abhinav Mukund.

By: Express Web Desk | Updated: August 10, 2017 11:50 am
Abhinav Mukund is a part of the Indian Test squad that is touring Sri Lanka (Source: AP)

In the world of sports, racism has been prevalent and is a form of social evil that has affected several athletes. Many believe sport is a concept where racism cannot enter but it has and shows what exactly is inherently wrong in our society. Racism exists and is increasing at an alarming rate and unless checked might take the form of another deadly social evil. Athletes and players across the globe have come out and condemned it over the years. On Thursday, the latest Indian sportstar to come out and speak on the issue is Abhinav Mukund.

In a post on social media, Mukund recalled his past and wrote, “I have been playing cricket since the age of 10 and I have gradually climbed up the ladder to where I am right now. It is an honour to get the chance to represent the country at the highest level. I am writing today not to garner sympathy or attention but…with the hope to change the mindset of people on an issue I feel strongly about.”

Mukund also spoke about how people were obsessed about his skin from a young age and said, “I have been travelling a lot within and outside our country since I was 15. Ever since I was young, people’s obsession with my skin colour has always been a mystery to me. Any one who follows cricket would understand the obvious. I have played and trained day in and day out in the sun and not once have I regretted the fact that I have tanned or lost a couple of shades. It is simply because I love what I do and I have been able to achieve certain things only because I have spent hours outdoor. I come from Chennai probably one of the hottest places in our country and I have gladly spent most of my adult life in the cricket ground.”

Revealing that he had been subject to a lot of name calling, Mukund further added, “I have laughed and shrugged it off because I had bigger goals! Affected young, I toughened up because this was never something that would pull me down. There were many times when I chose not to dignify these insults with responses.”

Revealing that he is speaking up today not just for himself but for many others, Mukund said, “With the rise of social media, it has gone to a magnitude that I see people hurling abuses left, right and centre at something I have absolutely no control over. Fair isn’t the only lovely or handsome guys.”

“Stay true, stay focussed, be comfortable in your own skin.”, he concluded.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

drharun
    Aug 10, 2017 at 4:29 pm
    Dont see any reason for Mukund to talk of racisim.Does he feel that he is subjected to such treatment if so were and by who.He is best advised to concentrate on his batting
      R Srinivasan
      Aug 10, 2017 at 2:23 pm
      This bias based on color practised by many Indians is a shameful state of affairs. I could guess who Abhinav is referring to. Unfortunately such biased people are dominating and in positions of power.
        Ajay
        Aug 10, 2017 at 1:22 pm
        He also looks like a Negro.hahaha!
        1. F
          Framak
          Aug 10, 2017 at 4:08 pm
          I know negros and after your comment? Have a chat to your parents Ajay you are embarrassing yourself mate. This guy has achieved what you can only dream of.
            S Shivalingham
            Aug 11, 2017 at 11:18 pm
            even negro women wouldn't look at you. your skin is the worse kind of skin.
          2. T
            TIHAEwale
            Aug 10, 2017 at 12:23 pm
            Abhinav mukund should have left the sleeping doggy to continue to sleep and you display your talent on the field.there is no doubt Indians have color prejudice which may take generations to eradicate
              R Subramanian
              Aug 10, 2017 at 11:58 am
              Racism in our mindset. In schools teachers also have racism and make fun of students who are not fair. What would be the condition of such children? I appreciate your view Mr.Abhinav Mukund. I am sure when you reach great heights the same people will appreciate you.
                Pratap Singh
                Aug 10, 2017 at 9:38 am
                Aren't we selling Fair and Lovely / Handsome endorsed by Bollywood Actors? ........ Aren't there matrimonial sites with "Complexion" as an attribute/feature??? Lets Ask PM Modi to ban these. Will BJP or Congress bring a bill in Parliament ? Any party who drafts this bill will get the votes of the ridiculed and trolled citizens of India....Here's a vote bank ...Do this at least for vote bank if not for humanity.
                1. B
                  Birendra
                  Aug 10, 2017 at 6:29 am
                  if this is racism then cast division,reservation,special status to bihar and kashmir is bigger racism and so India is the biggest racist country of this planet
                    SK Gupta
                    Aug 10, 2017 at 6:28 am
                    We must integrate the Dalits into the mainstream! With tenderness. They have been wrongly treated at times. But such pampering should also not be allowed to go to their heads!
                      Pratap Singh
                      Aug 10, 2017 at 9:41 am
                      Arey yaar...This has nothing to do with Dalits.... You are commenting on the wrong post... learn English and come back.
                    Live Cricket Scores & Results