By: Associated Press | | Melbourne | February 10, 2015 6:30:29 pm
The International Cricket Council says it has no immediate plans to restrict bat sizes after some players objected to suggestions the sport’s governing body would impose limits.
ICC chief David Richardson last week forecast the ICC will look at placing restrictions “on the depth of a bat in particular” saying the larger size of modern bats favour batsmen.
His statement triggered a backlash from the likes of big-hitting West Indies star Chris Gayle and England captain Eoin Morgan. He labeled the move “ridiculous.”
On Tuesday, Richardson said it is too early to know whether any restrictions will be imposed. “We need to consult with the manufacturers, whether any attempts to limit the size and the depth of the bats will be effective.”
Bigger and heavier bats have become widespread as limited overs cricket, especially the 20-over game, has become more popular, with pressure on batsmen to entertain with huge sixes into the crowds.