Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal stands just a win away from clinching her second title of the year after she stunned world number two and top seed Chinese Shixian Wang in a gruelling three-game semifinal contest of the USD 750,000 Star Australian Super Series in Sydney on Saturday.
Sixth-seeded Saina prevailed 21-19 16-21 21-15 in a marathon match, which lasted an hour and 16 minutes.
“Beat world number 2 wang shixian in a tough 3 game match. Through to the final of the Australian Open super series!” tweeted the Indian after recording her fifth overall win against the Chinese nemesis, which took their head-to-head record to 5-3.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Saina, who had ended up on the losing side in their previous two encounters – the most recent being the All England Championships, showed tremendous grit to outsmart the top-seeded Wang.
As expected, it was evenly-contested battle between the two players, who are pretty familiar with each others tactics.
In the opening game, it went neck and neck till 19-19 before Saina broke away to seal the issue in her favour.
Not the one to give up easily, Wang roared back in the second game. The two players were even till the 16th point but Wang broke off from that point to draw level with Saina.
However, Saina proved in the final battle of attrition and won the deciding third game rather comprehensively to enter the final.
Saina had earlier this year won the India Open Grand Prix Gold in Delhi.