Jwalla Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa have decided to part ways. The duo have been India’s most successful women’s double pair. Both have now decided to embark upon their own separate careers. While Jwala Gutta announced that she would be concentrating on mixed doubles, Ashwini Ponnappa has decided to partner N. Sikki Reddy.
Gutta said that she would stop appearing in women’s doubles and will partner Manu Attri while Ponnappa will be playing women’s doubles teaming up with N. Sikki Reddy. Gutta and Ponnappa played together for the first time in 2010. It was in the 2010 Commonwealth Games that they announced themselves where they the Gold medal in women’s doubles.
Ashwini Ponnapoa reportedly said, “Me and Jwala had a great partnership but it was time for us to look for a new beginning.
“I haven’t made any long term plans but after the bout of dengue just before the Olympics, I felt it was better for us to start with smaller tournaments,” she was quoted as saying by the Mumbai Mirror.
In the 2011 World Championships, they won bronze, the first time any Indian women’s doubles pair has collected the medal in the history of the tournament. They couldn’t emulate the same success in the London 2012 Olympics. After the 2012 Olympics, Gutta took some time out of the sport while Ponnappa teamed up with Pradnya Gadre. They united once again in their stand against the Indian Badminton League slashing their base prices at the last moment. This led to the two getting back together. Ponnappa and Gutta played in the Rio Olympics where they were knocked in the very first round.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest