Somewhere deep in my heart, maybe it is the end of my career: Saina Nehwal

Saina Nehwal is eyeing a return at China Open Super Series, from November 15, said she is working harder to improve her fitness.

By: IANS | New Delhi | Published:November 2, 2016 10:10 pm
Saina Nehwal, Saina, Nehwal, Saina Nehwal badminton, Saina Nehwal injury, Saina Nehwal surgery, Saina Nehwal return, Saina badminton, badminton, badminton news, sports news, sports Saina Nehwal underwent knee surgery after the Rio Olympics.

London Olympics bronze medallist shuttler Saina Nehwal, who is recuperating from a knee surgery feels her career may face an abrupt end.

The 26-year-old, who is now eyeing the China Open Super Series, from November 15, said she is working harder to improve her fitness and is not thinking about winning or losing anymore.

“It is okay, many people will think my career will end and I won’t come back. I also think somewhere deep in my heart that maybe it is the end of my career, so let’s see how it is. Maybe, you never know,” Saina was quoted as saying by ESPN India.

Plagued by a right knee injury, the Hyderabadi was knocked out of the first round from this year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Forced to go under the knife, she began her rehabilitation process with physiotherapist Heath Matthews and resumed her regular training recently under her coach U. Vimal Kumar.

“I will be more than happy if people think I am finished, it is nice in a way, people think a lot about me, maybe now they won’t. So for me it is just about how to take care of my body and be in good shape because these injuries are quite painful,” the shuttler said.

She further hinted at her imminent retirement plans by saying that she has not set any long-term goals for the future.

“I am going to think about the next one year, it is year by year now, I am not going to set a target for the next 5-6 years now,” she said.

Considered as the flag-bearer of Indian women’s singles badminton, Saina has had many ‘firsts’ added to her illustrious career.

Besides being the first Indian shuttler to win an Olympic medal, the former World No.1 added another feather to her cap by becoming the first Indian woman to reach the finals of the prestigious All England Open Badminton Championships.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

DR ASHOK AHUJA
    Nov 2, 2016 at 5:59 pm
    Saina it will be tough but apart from physical rehab Psychological rehab is equally important.lt;br/gt;Dont worry about what people think or say. Try at your best and India needs yo on the podium again
      Amrita
      Nov 3, 2016 at 12:16 am
      You are one of a kind and most Indians and probably the Chinese also recognize tht. I hope you continue leading in many more firsts. Stay strong mentally. No one dare write you off.
        Prashant
        Nov 2, 2016 at 6:16 pm
        Everyone feels low when struck by major injuries. One only needs to look around at folks like Nadal who keep rising from injury setbacks for inspiration. Saina is yet young and can easily bounce back with patience, good rehab and discipline. Stay Strong!
        1. H
          Himanshu Chaudhary
          Nov 2, 2016 at 8:09 pm
          End or not, Saina has been a great ambador for Indian sports and will continue to be a role model for future generations. Salute!
            Mayur Panghaal
            Nov 2, 2016 at 5:29 pm
            Dont worry...its the last of PV Sindhu's hurrah also.lt;br/gt;Sabse bada rupaiyya
              S Subramaniam
              Nov 2, 2016 at 8:01 pm
              Yes, it hurts when people comment without knowing the factual position. But, I have been watching the performance of great tennis stalwarts and noticed that only Roger Federer has not injured his knee during and has been winning tournaments in his chequered career consistently. It is a great achievement. Besides, he is humble, polite and never hurts anyone. His court manners are exemplary. He should be a role model for youngsters. I wish Saina Nehwal all the best and share one of the many brilliant quotes from the great Albert Einstein - "The measure of intelligence is the ability to change".
                David
                Nov 3, 2016 at 1:38 am
                Dude she is a public figure and I am not. Go figure.
                  David
                  Nov 2, 2016 at 7:12 pm
                  Siana you were good but you lacked steel where it mattered to hold your nerves.