Pakistan rape, murder of 7-year-old: TV anchor hosts news bulletin with daughter in protest

Pakistan rape and murder case: "Today, I am not your news anchor Kiran Naz, today I am here as a mother. This is why I am sitting here with my daughter," news anchor Kiran Naz said.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: January 11, 2018 1:37 pm
Pakistan, Pakistan news anchor, Pakistan anchor baby, Zainab Ansari, Pakistan protests, Pakistan news, Indian Express Pakistan rape and murder case: In protest, anchor Kiran Naz hosts news bulletin with her daughter (Pakistan Studio/YouTube)

As Pakistan continues to protest the rape and murder of seven-year-old Zainab Ansari in Kasur, Samaa TV news anchor Kiran Naz chose to protest by hosting the news bulletin with her daughter. “Today, I am not your news anchor Kiran Naz, today I am here as a mother. This is why I am sitting here with my daughter,” she said, as her daughter sat comfortably in her lap. “It is true when they say that the smallest coffins are the heaviest and entire Pakistan is burdened by the weight of her coffin.”

The TV journalist was referring to the rape and murder case which has sent shockwaves across Pakistan this week. The girl was allegedly abducted on January 4 when she was attending a Quran class. Her body was recovered by the police from a heap of garbage on January 9. The incident prompted severe backlash from civil society members and rights activists who have been protesting the repeated instances of child abuse and abduction in the Kasur region.

Here’s all you need to know about the case

The girl’s parents were on an umrah (pilgrimage) to Saudi Arabia when the incident took place. Naz on Wednesday pointed out the the tragic irony, saying that while the parents were praying for their daughter’s long life in Saudi Arabia, “a monster in Pakistan” killed her. “This is not just a child’s murder. This is the entire society’s murder,” she said.

The incident has sparked violent protests in the country. On Wednesday, police action against protesters resulted in the death of two civilians. Several others were injured.

For all the latest Pakistan News, download Indian Express App

1. Tarzan Gajulavarthi
    Jan 12, 2018 at 2:50 pm
    How can you people bring up religion and countries when a small girl is killed ... This happened on both lands.. Don't forget that we had Nithari killing where 19 children were killed in Noida.. Plzzz behave as humans and not as pigs who fight in drains of politics
    (5)(0)
    1. Muftkhor By Choice
      Jan 11, 2018 at 7:29 pm
      Mullah and Maulanas have right to rape.
      (1)(3)
      1. Babu Indian
        Jan 11, 2018 at 6:20 pm
        Pakistanis have a hypocritical culture with islam , this is a gruesome incident . By the way I heard many more young boys are used for by men in Pakistan and Afghanistan , some young boys are even raped . If one does not believe please search . (.)com/watch?v( )NMp2wm0VMUs
        (15)(5)
        1. Imran Khan
          Jan 11, 2018 at 6:36 pm
          U nadian r champion of rape...
          (3)(3)
          1. Muftkhor By Choice
            Jan 11, 2018 at 7:30 pm
            I am a Khan and i am a terrorist...
            (5)(5)
        2. Sumit Mohan
          Jan 11, 2018 at 6:09 pm
          Though the news is from enemy country but I feel very sad ,mad animals live both side of border they deserve most severe consequences
          (23)(0)
          1. Amjad Miandad
            Jan 11, 2018 at 4:50 pm
            I as a father in such a grief and fear after these recent incidents. I'm much too worried for my 2 little angles all the daughters around. I have been active even worked to raise the awareness level of parents, children especially my children with appropriate IEC material, graphics, videos, cartoons etc what ever medium I could use. I have educated my kids to report abusive behaviors and to try to not to become an easy victim or to escape from such attempts but that's not enough, that can't make them invulnerable . Either its Pakistan or India the problem is we ignore the importance of such education. No 1 try to teach their kids about the signs dealing to puberty. About their private parts etc. Boys learn from friends about adolescent how to shave our private parts but our parents teachers don't tell us how to keep cleanliness to deal with puberty signs. Same is with the girls. We r shy ignorant from the importance of such issues. We'v to over come our shortcomings.
            (17)(0)
            1. Muftkhor By Choice
              Jan 11, 2018 at 7:31 pm
              Quit Islam if you care about your daughter. It's a misogynistic religion.
              (12)(12)