* This refers to Shekhar Guptas One Raja in jail,all of UPA in handcuffs (IE,February 5). The date of birth furore of the army chief is an indication of poor coordination between the defence ministry and the adjutant generals office. The chief election commissioner fears for the autonomy of his office amidst the Election Commissions alleged rift with the law ministry. Now,the former ISRO chief has spoken of the governments utterly arbitrary and self-serving action against him and others in the Antrix-Devas scam. This government is at loggerheads with itself.
Pachu Menon Margao
* Apropos 2002 riots: High Court pulls up Modi govt for inaction (IE,February 9),the judgment is true but unpalatable for Narendra Modi and the BJP. As chief minister,Modi failed to protect the life of citizens. Undoubtedly,Gujarat has a very developed infrastructure,but that is Modis duty as CM. Can mere development erase the scars of the riots?
Bidyut K. Chatterjee Faridabad
* Government means a guardian for all and a system that allows equal justice and fundamental rights. In West Bengal too,as in Gujarat,we saw the then CM Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee play an inactive role and the politics of divide-and-rule during the Nandigram and Singur episodes.
Uttam K. Bhowmik Tamluk
* This refers to the editorial Dirty picture (IE,February 9). It seems,in India,pornography is more reprehensible than other crimes. In Karnataka,while the ministers were made to resign immediately,former CM B.S. Yeddyurappa,accused of corruption,dug in his heels for a long time before finally resigning under pressure. Politicians with criminal records have also been voted in by us without compunction.
* Apropos Empires of the mind (IE,February 8),K. Subrahmanyam was a great thinker and strategist. He always aimed at turning a situation advantageous for India.
S.C. Vaid Greater Noida
* The effort by Mohamed Nasheed to prevent violence in the Maldives is highly commendable. He has been working since 2008 to make his country a democratic nation. Hopefully,the next elections will bring him back to power.
Virendra K. Singh New Delhi
* The EU has imposed carbon tax on inbound airlines. The International Air Transport Association has voiced its disapproval. India should take it up with the International Civil Aviation Organisation to protect its ailing aviation industry.
C. Koshy John Pune