Power and glory
* THERE was a time when West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee gloried in being seen as one with the people,walking to all parts of the state,willing to face violence,shoulder-to-shoulder with the oppressed. Now she wants sub-machine guns to protect her from an imagined conspiracy. How the trappings of power can change a person. This is the unfortunate story of most politicians. They build walls of security around themselves,which separate them from the masses they claim to know so well.
Blogging it out
* IT IS not acceptable for a senior leader like L.K. Advani to air his grievances so openly on a blog (Slamming Gadkari,Advani breaks fragile Mumbai truce,IE,June 1). It proves beyond doubt that all is not well in the BJP. The party with a difference has now truly become the party with differences. Evidently,Advani is not happy that BJP president Nitin Gadkari had the party constitution amended to his advantage. But senior leaders are expected to behave with grace. It seems Advani still nurtures ambitions of becoming prime minister. That would explain the blogs reference to A.K. Hangal,who returned to the small screen at the age of 97.
Yash P. Verma
* VISWANATHAN Anand has done it again. He has won the world title for the fifth time to add a new feather to his cap (Viswanathan Anand defeats Boris Gelfand,retains World Chess Championship crown,IE,May 31). Although not many doubted his ability to win this contest,the deadlock after the stipulated 12 games was worrying. Anand has beaten almost all the top players of his time. His unassuming ways and the low profile of chess in India have kept Anand out of the limelight. It is high time Indian government honoured him appropriately and he was acknowledged as a sports icon of India.
* APROPOS Friend in deed (IE,May 30),it is in New Delhis own interests to make the best of the moment. Years of seclusion has done enough harm to Myanmar. If India helped build a prosperous Myanmar,it would also be shoring up its own eastern borders and addressing its own security concerns. Better cooperation between the two countries will benefit the entire region.
* THIS refers to A cheap shot (IE,May 30). Team Annas recent remark,that the Congress has used Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as a Shikhandi,brings into question their methods of fighting corruption. The fact of the matter is that,as the damp squib at the Mumbai show showcased last year,Team Anna is now finding it hard to regain the popularity they once enjoyed.
From Colorado to Uruguay,experiments with legalising marijuana usage. India should take note...
The insensitive state response to an alleged rape and murder shows what hasnt changed for women...
The prime minister finally held a press conference but evaded the questions,shifted the blame...