Letters to the editor

By: Express News Service | Published:August 1, 2014 12:21 am

Letter of the Week Award
To encourage quality reader intervention The Indian Express offers the Letter of the Week Award. The letter adjudged the best for the week is published every Saturday. Letters may be e-mailed to editpage @expressindia.com or sent to The Indian Express, 9&10, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi -110002.
Letter writers should mention their postal address and phone number.
The winner receives books worth Rs 1,000.

Questions remain
THIS refers to the editorial ‘Say yes to trials’ (IE, July 31). Genetically modified crops are in the news once again. While the editorial suggests field trials should be allowed, I beg to differ. I especially disagree with the assertion that trials are being held back purely due to the pressure being exerted from certain ideologues. The opposition is mainly because there are still doubts about the safety of GM crops. There is no denying the fact that genetic modification is not yet universally accepted. It is no good to rush into the cultivation of new categories of pest-resistant seeds. There are still too many unanswered questions. If GM technology is permitted, it will result in multinational, monopolistic seed companies benefiting. The pollen from GM-trial crops could contaminate non-GM varieties. More laboratory research is needed before a call can be taken.
— B.N. Anand
Mohali

Bargaining chip
THIS refers to ‘The real threat to WTO’ by Sanjaya Baru (IE, July 31). The writer is absolutely right in saying China, not India, might be the real target of the West’s actions at the WTO. But India is certainly right in its position given that it has not received any assurances from the US. Particularly in the backdrop of US Secretary of State John Kerry’s recent remarks, this is not alright. It would be tough to implement the food security act in the future unless we make some headway on renegotiating the agreement on agriculture. Though strong relations with the US are certainly important, they cannot come at the cost of food security for our poor.
— Krupa Bhandari
Mumbai

Farewell, Kallis
THE world’s greatest all-rounder has hanged his boots up — Jacques Kallis has bid goodbye to international cricket. Runs, tons and wickets were his forte, and he was the most feared cricketer the world has ever witnessed. His batting skills could match the best of the best, including Sachin Tendulkar, and his fiery bowling shamed the most talented batsmen. His all-rounder status is clear from his career statistics. Though Kallis never hogged the headlines and was modest, his feats were phenomenal. Cricket lovers across the globe salute him for entertaining them over the last two decades. The vacuum created by his exit will be hard to fill. Well played, Jacques Kallis.
— S.N. Kabra
Mumbai

Glasgow glory
THIS refers to ‘Lifting the cloud’ ( IE, July 31). It is heartening to see our excellent showing in the ongoing Glasgow Commonwealth Games. The Indian contingent in general, and weightlifters in particular, have done really well so far.
— Amit Verma
Bareilly

For all the latest Opinion News, download Indian Express App

1. B
    Babul Roy
    Jul 28, 2017 at 4:23 pm
    Dear Editor, I invite your attention (URL attached) to my recent publication on the invention of a new type of electric motor that may bring revolution in the field of electricity generation and consumption. I request you to publish this news through your mass media for appreciation of the same. The URL is: : djeee /index.php/stage/pdfreader/14
    1. c
      c.v.r.krishna
      May 20, 2017 at 1:42 pm
      LETTER TO THE EDITOR ::::100 effective net banking :::: Most Indian banks send important 'one time password' to cell phone in the net banking. This leads to more than 20 percent of net banking failure. The main reasons some times cell may be not with them at the time of net banking, but in some areas towns/villages the cell network does not works, otherwise the cell might be out off order or stolen, and finally the net banking work to be postponed or to meet urgent payments either by cash or by cheque. That is why all banks need to provide an option in the net banking either to send the 'one time password' to your cell phone or to your email. With that, if internet works alright one can do net banking without any interruption. The Reserve Bank of India and the Indian Bank ociation shall issue orders to all banks to implement this method, than our Prime Minister dreams of 100 cashless will be fulfilled in the net banking.
      1. c
        c.v.r.krishna
        May 20, 2017 at 12:02 pm
        PL PUBLISH:: 100 effective net banking Most Indian banks send important 'one time password' in net banking. This leads to more than 20 percent of net banking failure. The main reasons some times cell may be not with them at the time of net banking, but in some areas towns/villages the cell network does not works, otherwise the cell might be out off order or stolen, and finally the net banking work to be postponed or to meet urgent payments either by cash or by cheque. That is why all banks need to provide an option in the net banking either to send the 'one time password' to your cell phone or to your email. With that, if internet works alright one can do net banking without any interruption. The Reserve Bank of India and the Indian Bank ociation shall issue orders to all banks to implement this method, than our Prime Minister dreams of 100 cashless will be fulfilled in the net banking. -------- 000 ------
          Santosh Bhimrao Karmarkar
          Apr 25, 2017 at 4:54 pm
          WHO SAYS POOR CAN’T AFFORD THE FOOD IF THEY AVIL THE LUNCH at JUST VADAPOVS COST. Yes heard it RIGHTLY now that days are gone the start-up called “saath Do’ has the solution and emerging as the permanent solution to this cause. Pune is hub for education and employment creation the students and drought affected farmers are immigrating to city from rest of the Maharashtra especially marathawada ,vidharbha and other states from India. This scenario is frequently found in other metropolitan towns too. Now question is how city can justifies the need of those people? As they can’t afford the price of accommodation and food which maybe basic necessity to human beings but they can’t afford it. In one side this concern ought to be secured and on other hand this problem shall not remain liability to rest society. “SAATH DO” team has unique answer to come over both issues. We ask household to donate only one tiffin and that too just once in week and in return we supply empty tiffin
          1. V
            Vipin Kumar
            Apr 13, 2017 at 1:15 am
            Whenever I open Indian Express - whether home page or other news, a box appears from MTNL, stating that this message to you is from MTNL about Swachcha Cyber etc.... I I click on it, a full page statement appears. If I do not click on it, it disappears after 2-3 minutes. Again appears on new article.
              Ashti
              Feb 14, 2017 at 2:53 pm
              We would like you to very much work towards lifting the ban on stan actors. Talent cannot be tied down due to politics.. Why ban talented artist like Mahira and Fawad Khan, Ali Zafar, Fateh Ali khan; atif etc etc who bring such charm, grace and elegance in entertainment industry. Banning them is not a solution especially when the govt rightly has ties with stan, continue to have trade, commerce, cricket and communication. They came with valid visas. Everyone in a country that does not believe in our beliefs is NOT a terrorist. They are not terrorists. Why are they being singled out? We should welcome talent with open arms and artists who just wish to spread love and peace and make our films better. Bollywood is not only for the Indian artists – which is already filled with untalented kids of actors. Perhaps some are afraid to face the compeion. Please start a discussion and a peion to allow stan talent to work in films as we need new fresh faces with no connections. We judge talent by performance and so should you. I think PM Modi needs to step in and allow this positive cultural exchange between the 2 countries .
                Ravinder kaur
                Feb 14, 2017 at 7:20 am
                I have give public notice in Indian Express 21/2/2016 I need copy of this notice I have call more time but no 1 give me proper ans and no body help me provide me the copy of news paper I m highly disappointed with INDIAN EXPRESS Service and Staff they are so Rude
                  Atreya C. Gururaj
                  Jul 12, 2016 at 9:39 am
                  Open Letter to Hon'ble Delhi C.M ...lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Dellhi C.M Kejriwal is quite satisfied with AAP government in Delhi.lt;br/gt;I would like to bring the following facts to the kind attention of Hon’ble C.M of Delhi.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;1. On 1st July I’d an accident near Moti Bagh. I suffered double fracture in the leg and Right hand Thumb almost got severed. I was helped by a boy who took me to nearby Govt Hospital, charak, where they DID NOT EVEN GIVE FIRST AID but mercifully sent me by their Ambulance to Trauma Centre. lt;br/gt;2. As we reached Trauma Centre Ambulance Driver asked few times for “karcha paani” but mercifully did not insist on it seeing my condition.lt;br/gt;3. At Trauma Centre near Safdarjung Hospital, NO HELP WAS FORTHCOMING. I WAS TOLD MY THUMB “CANNOT BE SAVED” AND IF I WANT TO SAVE IT I MUST IMMEDIATELY “GO TO SAFDARJUNG HOSPITAL” BUT REFUSED TO ARRANGE VEHICLE FOR ME SAYING THAT “YOU MUST ARRANGE YOURSELF”. I told I’m in no position to do that. Then they said that the boy who has accompanied me should that. I told them that boy is a total stranger who has helped me reach Hospital and why should he arrange for vehicle. They wanted me to fill up the form in that condition when the time was important to save my Thumb. Mercifully, my wife reached and arranged for Ambulance who demanded Rs.300 to take us to next door Safdarjung Hospital.lt;br/gt;4. At Safdarjung Hospital EVEN STRECHER/WHEEL CHAIR WAS NOT GIVEN TO US.lt;br/gt;5. We then immediately went to nearby Aashlok Hospital who were VERY PROFESSIONAL AND even without asking for name, FORM etc began the treatment and operated my Thumb and left leg saved my thumb and fixed my fracture. Presently, I’m now much better, thanks to professional way of handing the crisis by Aashlok Hospital.. lt;br/gt;6. ALL THIS HAPPENED IN HEART OF DELHI WHERE IT SEEMS IF ONE DOES NOT CHOOSE PRIVATE HOSPITAL THEN ONE IS DOOMED.lt;br/gt;7. C.M of Delhi should kindly pay attention to this. AFTER ALL IT IS AAM AADMI PARTY WHICH IS FORMED FOR “AAM AADMI” IS IN CHARGE OF GOVERNANCE IN DELHI…