Had Thimayya won
* Inder Malhotra forgot to mention that after the then defence ministers gigantic ego was assuaged vis-a-vis the then army chief,we got a drubbing at the hands of the Chinese (The Generals labyrinth,IE,March 30). This could have been an interesting footnote to our history. National security is much above the ego of an individual. Regarding the current furore,our parliamentarians,protected by the cover of parliamentary privilege,should think about the countrys security instead of taking pot shots at people who have in some way violated protocol.
Shobhit Saksena Ahmedabad
* What Nitin Pai has suggested is nothing but a rehash of the US Goldwater-Nichols Act of 1986,where the chiefs function only as an advisory committee and have no operational control over the troops (A battle behind the lines,IE,March 30). However,Pai has omitted mentioning something important. The system requires the formation or theatre commanders to report directly to the defence secretary. Is our defence minister capable of,or even prepared,for this? Further,all theatres must be integrated,that is,the army,navy and air force,should all be rolled into one. Will the babus allow this?
T.R. Ramaswami Mumbai
* This refers to the editorial Afzal & Rajoana,(IE,March 29). Both Afzal Guru and Balwant Singh Rajoana must be hanged for their crimes. Theres no second thought about it. But this is India for you,where petty politics has an upperhand over anything else. And sadly,our national parties are not doing justice to the roles they are supposed to play.
Bal Govind Noida
* The editorial Afzal & Rajoana has rightly taken to task the Congress,the BJP and the SAD for their double standards over the clamour for clemency to Rajoana. Punjab has passed through a dreadful cycle of violence because of the myopia of our parties. Their swimming with the tide on sensitive and serious issues,at the cost of upholding the law of the land,proved to be harmful not only for them but also for the country.
Sachdi Nanda Chandigarh
* Your editorial Afzal & Rajoana has blamed the BJP in Rajoana case,while dealing softly with the real culprit,the Congress. The BJP,which maintained that the law should take its course,is judged guilty,while the Congress which disregarded the rule-of-law is being exonerated. The real cause of the whole drama is the non-execution of the SC order on Afzal Guru by the UPA government. Even the Punjab unit of the Congress was in tune with the Akal Takht to appeal for mercy in the case. The BJP has come out clean in this case,but this is not acceptable to the secular media.
Jai Prakash Gupta Ambala