Andre Malraux, the French writer and statesman, died in a Paris hospital. He was 75. Malraux, a giant literary figure in France and in much of the world, died only weeks before publication of a new book entitled, The Fragile Man in Literature. The slender, dark-haired Malraux served as General Charles de Gaulle’s intellectual mentor for a quarter century and as his culture minister for 11 years. Gaulle was fascinated by the mixture of intellect and daring he found in Malraux, who believed a writer must match his words with physical action, however dangerous. Malraux sided with communist revolutionaries in China in the 1920s, flew as a machine gunner against Franco forces in the Spanish civil war, was condemned to death by Hitler’s Germany for his part in France’s World War II resistance, escaped, and joined General de Gaulle’s free French forces in active combat against Germans. When de Gaulle’s successor, President Georges Pompidou, asked Malraux why he risked death so often, he replied: “If a man is not willing to risk his life, where is his dignity?”
Indira at AICC
Prime Minister Indira Gandhi said at the AICC session in Guwahati that steps were being considered to ensure that government-appointed directors in companies protected workers’ interests and carried out the government’s policies and programmes.
Soviet’s test nuke
The Soviet Union touched off an unusually heavy underground nuclear explosion in Siberia, the seismological institute in Uppsala, Sweden reported. A spokesman described the blasted device as ‘‘one of the major ones, but not the biggest” in Siberia.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Call for action
Senior CPI leader from Tamil Nadu, M. Kalyanasundaram, called for a joint-campaign by his party, the Congress and the AIADMK for effective implementation of the 20-point programme and to prevent the disruptive activities of the DMK and its allies.