Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawlas comments hinting at a review of the states 18-year-old prohibition law at a talk show this week may not be the definitive answer many are seeking,but it was hardly surprising given the split public opinion alcohol evokes in the state.
On one hand,the CM said what most agree on – that youth are dying en masse from drinking spurious alcohol,a fact even the Governor pointed out a few weeks ago. But later in the interview,Thanhawla stood by the actions of voluntary organisations at the forefront of an ongoing campaign against alcohol and drugs and counter-questioned the talk show host,So do you mean to say that the actions of the Young Mizo Association are completely wrong? He went on to say outsiders (read ethnic Mizos from outside the state,including Myanmar) are amassing wealth through drug trafficking and selling moonshine as well as illegal alcohol and are buying property off the sons of the soil,a rhetoric often used by voluntary organisations to justify occasional forced evictions of bootleggers and drug dealers.
Mizorams attempt to curb alcohol is interlinked with its attempt to stop narcotics,and it was indeed local and neighbourhood groups who were most active in pre-prohibition days,volunteers staying up nights in duty shacks to make sure localities are free of drunkards and junkies.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
The dry state boasts of peaceful environs. At just 2,520 cases registered under the IPC and non-IPC provisions in 2012,it has one of the countrys lowest crime rates. Murder accounted for just 29 of these,prohibition 440,the second highest after theft,which was anyway low at 643. Tourism also plays an important factor in prohibition review,at least in government corridors,with tourist inflow more than doubling in the past decade. However,the law does allow tourists to bring their own alcohol.
But the mood is anything but for lifting prohibition. At the Prohibition Councils last meeting two-months-ago,the council said it was not in favour of lifting prohibition unless law enforcement agencies are better empowered,and in fact advocated making the law stricter,even to the point of cancelling land ownership of those whose premises are used by bootleggers.
If prohibition is indeed lifted,alcohol-money may be tempting as the state has a debt about 13 times its resources and nine-tenths of its revenue comes from the Centre.
Adam is a principal correspondent based in Aizawl