RSS and Palestine
Discussing the BJP’s reluctance to allow Parliament to adopt a resolution condemning the death of civilians in Palestine, the CPM weekly People’s Democracy has said that such a resolution would have “conveyed to the whole world the continuation of India’s time-tested policy of solidarity with the Palestinian cause and would have been seen as in India’s total support to the Palestinians”.
“The BJP’s refusal to allow this… is actually an endorsement of the RSS/BJP’s ideological and political affinity towards the Zionist project pursued by Israel. This project and its relentless pursuit by Israel, in a way, endorses the RSS efforts to metamorphose the secular democratic Indian republic,” an editorial says. It argues that “the BJP argument that solidarity with Palestine is tantamount to ‘appeasement’ of Muslims in India” makes it worse, and that “those who practice the worst vote bank politics of seeking to consolidate the ‘Hindu vote bank’ accuse those who support the Palestinian struggle for a homeland as ‘appeasement’”.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Concluding by noting that India is the “world’s largest buyer of Israeli armaments”, the editorial has urged the country to “pressurise this BJP-led NDA government to immediately stop India’s purchase of Israeli defence equipment”. India voted in favour of a United Nations resolution last week condemning Israel’s military operations against Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.
Alleging that the country is still reeling from the “shock” of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley’s decision to raise the FDI cap in several sectors from 26 to 49 per cent, the CPI’s New Age has claimed that the Narendra Modi-led government has now “revealed its plan to hand over most national assets to the corporate sector by turning them into a public-private sector”. It continues: “The PPP, FDI announcements and the new plan of disinvestment of most PSUs reflect the haste of the new regime to complete the process of the nation’s surrender to international finance capital.” It asserts that the government “hopes to get Rs 43,325 crore through disinvestment in nine profit-making PSUs”, cautioning against it because “one should understand that PSUs are not just public assets.
The public sector has always played a crucial stabilising role in sustaining the economy”.
It concludes that “preventing the government from disinvesting from PSUs is not just to protect national assets, but it is basically to avert a greater disaster than what the developed economies have faced since 2008”.
Compiled by Ruhi Tewari