As a Christian, suddenly I am a stranger in my own country, writes Julio Ribeiro

And, as a Christian, suddenly a stranger in my own country.

Written by Julio Ribeiro | Updated: March 17, 2015 1:29 pm
Narendra Modi, Church attack, Ghar wapsi, Religious conversion, BJP, Mohan Bhagwat, RSS, Christmas, Good Governance Day,  Christian churches,  Christian churches attack, churches attack, indian Express column, IE column Is it coincidence or a well-thought-out plan that the systematic targeting of a small and peaceful community should begin only after the BJP government of Narendra Modi came to power last May?

There was a time, not very long ago — one year short of 30, to be precise — when only a Christian was chosen to go to Punjab to fight what then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi termed “the nation’s battle” against separatists. I had accepted a “demotion” from secretary in the Union home ministry to DGP of the state of Punjab at the personal request of the prime minister.

Then home secretary, Ram Pradhan, and my dear friend, B.G. Deshmukh, then chief secretary to the government of Maharashtra, were flabbergasted. “Why did you accept this assignment?” they asked. The same question was put to me over the phone by then President Zail Singh. But Arjun Singh, the cabinet minister who personally escorted me by special aircraft from Delhi to Chandigarh, remarked that when my appointment was announced the next morning, the Hindus of Punjab would breathe more freely and rejoice. I presume Hindus would include RSS cadres who had been pinned into a corner by the separatists.

When 25 RSS men on parade were shot dead in cold blood one morning, then Punjab Governor S.S. Ray and I rushed to the spot to console the stricken families. The governor visited 12 homes, I visited the rest. The governor’s experience was different from mine. He was heckled and abused. I was welcomed.

Related Article

Today, in my 86th year, I feel threatened, not wanted, reduced to a stranger in my own country.  The same category of citizens who had put their trust in me to rescue them from a force they could not comprehend have now come out of the woodwork to condemn me for practising a religion that is different from theirs. I am not an Indian anymore, at least in the eyes of the proponents of the Hindu Rashtra.

Is it coincidence or a well-thought-out plan that the systematic targeting of a small and peaceful community should begin only after the BJP government of Narendra Modi came to power last May? “Ghar wapsi”, the declaration of Christmas as “Good Governance Day”, the attack on Christian churches and schools in Delhi, all added to a sense of siege that now afflicts these peaceful people.

Christians have consistently punched above their weight — not as much as the tiny Parsi community, but just as noticeably. Education, in particular, has been their forte. Many schools, colleges, related establishments that teach skills for jobs have been set up and run by Christians. They are much in demand. Even diehard Hindus have sought admission in such centres of learning and benefited from the commitment and sincerity of Christian teachers. Incidentally, no one seems to have been converted to Christianity, though many, many have imbibed Christian values and turned “pseudo-secularist”.

Hospitals, nursing homes, hospices for dying cancer patients needing palliative care — many of these are run by Christian religious orders or Christian laymen devoted to the service of humanity. Should they desist from doing such humanitarian work for fear of being so admired and loved that a stray beneficiary converts of his or her own accord? Should only Hindus be permitted to do work that could sway the sentiments of stricken people in need of human love and care?

The Indian army was headed by a Christian general, the navy more than once, and same with the air force. The country’s defence forces have countless men and women in uniform who are Christians. How can they be declared non-Indians by Parivar hotheads out to create a pure Hindu Rashtra?

It is tragic that these extremists have been emboldened beyond permissible limits by an atmosphere of hate and distrust. The Christian population, a mere 2 per cent of the total populace, has been subjected to a series of well-directed body blows. If these extremists later turn their attention to Muslims, which seems to be their goal, they will invite consequences that this writer dreads to imagine.

I was somewhat relieved when our prime minister finally spoke up at a Christian function in Delhi a few days ago. But the outburst of Mohan Bhagwat against Mother Teresa, an acknowledged saint — acknowledged by all communities and peoples — has put me back on the hit list. Even more so because BJP leaders, like Meenakshi Lekhi, chose to justify their chief’s remarks.

What should I do? What can I do to restore my confidence? I was born in this country. So were my ancestors, some 5,000 or more years ago. If my DNA is tested, it will not differ markedly from Bhagwat’s. It will certainly be the same as the country’s defence minister’s as our ancestors arrived in Goa with the sage Parshuram at the same time. Perhaps we share a common ancestor somewhere down the line. It is an accident of history that my forefathers converted and his did not. I do not and never shall know the circumstances that made it so.

What does reassure me in these twilight years, though, is that there are those of the predominant Hindu faith who still remember my small contribution to the welfare of the country of our birth. During a recent trip to Rajgurunagar in the Khed taluka of Pune district to visit schools that my NGO, The Bombay Mothers and Children Welfare Society, had adopted, I stopped at Lonavla for idli and tea. A group of middle-aged Maharashtrians sitting on the next table recognised me and stopped to greet and talk. A Brahmin couple returning from Kuwait (as I later learnt) also came up to inquire if I was who I was and then took a photograph with me.

It warmed the cockles of my heart that ordinary Hindus, not known to me, still thought well of me and would like to be friends 25 years after my retirement, when I could not directly serve them. It makes me hope that ordinary Hindu men and women will not be swayed by an ideology that seeks to spread distrust and hate with consequences that must be avoided at all cost.

The writer, a retired IPS officer,was Mumbai police commissioner,DGP Gujarat and DGP Punjab,and is a former Indian ambassador to Romania
express@expressindia.com

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

1. C
    Cybil Penning
    Jan 30, 2017 at 5:34 pm
    I had a good impression of this bad cop ribeiro. He doesn't deserve respect any more.
    1. C
      Cybil Penning
      Jan 30, 2017 at 5:37 pm
      It is a well thought out plan by so called rogue secularists to malign Hindus to oppress them further despite rescue after millennia of subjugation. Shame on this magazine 4 its venality.
      1. C
        Cybil Penning
        Jan 30, 2017 at 5:28 pm
        There is no need to belittle him by distorting his name. It shows ur own character. pointing three fingers towards urself. His name is Mani Ram. Thank u.
        1. C
          Cybil Penning
          Jan 30, 2017 at 5:32 pm
          Ur ignorance is not bliss but curse. Hypocrisy. Have you tried to first know Hinduism??? Not a bit. Shame on you. You can read or write what you like but can't force ur view on others. same way, if you wont like so. Leave this planet ion peace instead of spreading hate under d name of a religion that isn't religion but hate. Abrahamics have proved a nuisance everywhere. Truth is too bitter.
          1. C
            Cybil Penning
            Jan 30, 2017 at 5:20 pm
            What is wrong in his ertion? Current majority of Muslims and Christians are converts of Hindus. Won't go in nuances of predatory or lure or force. History is well known to us and if u have read it correctly written by unbiased historians. Crusades and Jihads are two familiar words.
            1. C
              Cybil Penning
              Jan 30, 2017 at 5:11 pm
              Y is this Christian Ribeiro suddenly crying out his "tolerant" character despite v Hindu majority put so much trust in him? He has proved beyond doubt that he did not deserve our trust and honor. Shame on you Mr Ribeiro. You have disgraced your uniform.
                Andrew J
                Sep 6, 2016 at 11:49 am
                What does one's name have to do with one's reason to defend on'e belief ??? I don't mind giving my kids a Tamil name if that's your problem sir! use reason and not 'mud-slinging' without any reasoning! We're all educated Nishanth ,so gear up
                  dissident eternal
                  Jul 4, 2016 at 5:50 pm
                  Having a Hindu sounding name doesn't make you a Hindu. If you're feeling insecure you are welcome to leave along with your Muslim and xtian brethren. We don't need trash like you
                  1. N
                    Nishant B.
                    May 18, 2016 at 6:27 am
                    bro ur name is dead give away why u defend christians !!
                    1. G
                      Gomes
                      Mar 17, 2015 at 12:04 am
                      It was a known fact that along with the promised Achee Din, this would be a complimentary (though not announced). The Achee Din are no were in sight, but the complementary has come through in a haste N yes I do agree if any lures someone into a forced conversion he/should be dealt with.
                        Abhi
                        Mar 16, 2015 at 9:09 am
                        What rubbish has been put forward in this Article..........Too much victimhood. Boss, India is a free country not a enveligist one. So please stop peddling lies and contribute in growth of the nation.
                          amarjit
                          Mar 17, 2015 at 1:56 am
                          At least you understand the difference what is extremists, separists .but still you doing the same in different form.education for Christians ,what is that , how about other children why are u work same standard for all children.......that what being sowed in this country since independent . vote politics , Christian education ........and so on .you are 2% , you went to crush 2 %, now u feeling ....what they were feeling at that time .
                            Selva
                            Mar 16, 2015 at 12:12 pm
                            Christians were never peace loving ! are they so when they stuck Iraq / Afghan / support Israel for macres / support and ensure their puppet regimes come world-over .... Who can forget the macres British made in India and in other countries?? What brought to India, which was once a very rich country, in the name of colonial rule, which sucked our national resources out and living royally in London??? British divide & rule has divided India & Pak permanently!! Your Rome has contributed to this World's violence than any ........ Don't shed crocodile tears to earn more Vatican dollars & TRP.......
                            1. B
                              BINU peter
                              Mar 17, 2015 at 5:20 am
                              Thank you, Sir !!
                                DIVYANSHU TIWARI
                                Mar 16, 2015 at 1:31 pm
                                Such an immature talk by a retired IPS officer is quite unfortunate. Mr. Julian Riberio has held such a large number of portfolios during his service career and he must have a rich experience of the Indian society, still he is talking like that which surprises me.
                                  Dr sub
                                  Mar 16, 2015 at 9:27 am
                                  Christains and Muslims are free to convert; push so called charity money for using different means ways of conversion -- being in power of chair as Dgp gives you a sense of arrogance which you wish to enjoy and let the community have a free hand at conversions !! When majority speaks you hide under the garb of minority. When you were in the seat, many newspapers adv Jobs in Middleast only for Muslims and Christains -- you were sleeping then? The same with likes of late Andhra CM !! Free hand to evangelism !!!!all crocodile tears sponsored by the missionaries !!!
                                  1. H
                                    Haradhan Mandal
                                    Mar 16, 2015 at 3:20 pm
                                    Dear Sir, Your article is heart-touching! But did it happen 'suddenly' for you? Or you might have thought - If I can pretend enough, I can ume - to all and to myself - that it was never happening. But It was happening in the tribal districts of Gujrat (like Dangs), or in Odisha or elsewhere for quite a long time. One Australian Christian missionary and his two young sons were killed in Odisha by locking them inside a car and burning them alive! But all said and done - your article is heart-warming at the end and hope that there is place for hope at the end!
                                    1. H
                                      HenriettaNewtonMarti
                                      May 4, 2015 at 10:58 am
                                      In concurrence with the opinion expressed in this article, I would like to affirmatively add,that, its not always about political parties,but a stark reality and a crisp observation of the present state of affairs in the country.Strange concepts are ruling the minds of the people in India,propogated by governing political units, but though the adverse ideas rules the minds of most supporters of this strange implemented ideologies , in all probability is against their heart.
                                      1. J
                                        Janaki
                                        Mar 17, 2015 at 3:32 pm
                                        Perhaps you would not believe that ordinary Hindus, not known to you still respect you for you fair and just actions include the followers of Parivar. Hotheads are present in every group and to a great extent it could also be reactionary. My objection to the community is not for professing the religion of their choice, or normal conversion where the person has made a choice that is his right. The objection is solely on conversion using every, I repeat, every unfair methods and making the converts alien to the community which was so magnanimous to all religions. Ghar Vapsi started, you will notice only today. But your conversion practice has been going on first under the patronage of British and thereafter the pseudo secular. You are hurt when someone criticizes the person you respect. The same way don't you think the ever tolerant members of parent community cannot have any feeling when their Gods or saints are painted bad to these converted aliens?. As an honest and effective law enforcement officer, how come you have not noticed the kind of conversion happening in the north east area of India to start with and up to the southern tip of TamilNadu and Kerala. Do you honestly believe that these conversions are practiced by fair means, if so please go through the brochures, pamphlets and books used for converting ignorant villagers and tribels. We still respect you as a model officer, but it pains tremendously when you write a one sided story like this.
                                          Kamal
                                          Mar 16, 2015 at 5:19 pm
                                          Very Good that you feel like a stranger in India. The same happens when suddenly a missionary barges in our house and tries to propagate about Christianity even when we do not want to know about it. When we say we do not want to know, it does not mean we hate it. We do respect it but we are happy with what we are.
                                          1. T
                                            Truth hurts
                                            Mar 16, 2015 at 8:16 pm
                                            Most of against comments are banking on conversion. Let me ask all those people, honestly, will you please tell me, what is the basic reasons for conversions? It is their inequality in their own religion. Holy caste people banished them in holy streets and temples, mandated lowly jobs. Rich land lords exploited their hardwork. What else a driven-to-corner people can opt? Suicide ? Or move to another faith which gave them education. Equality and self respect ( not outcled by birth) . please do introspection sirs. Hindu religion or its holy people never took any effort to unite their own lesser privileged people. It is a religion that divides. How can any one justify the caste system? Remove the caste and caste surnames. Then advice. I am a Hindu who hates caste and casteist people and I am not a convert.
                                              ap
                                              Apr 18, 2017 at 2:03 pm
                                              the reason for conversion is money and fear...100 I have been heckled a lot by christian missionaries and so have many people I know...I was a secular liberal ..but was converted the other way by them. and many poor uneducated people convert due to poverty and social boycott..but to justify their wrong aggressive actions ..the evangelicals constantly rake up the "caste system" forgetting their own history , the Spanish inquisition, holocaust, slavery and apartheid".