Would have been better dead,says labourer with 80 per cent burns

For the last 15 years,Dinesh Chatterjee,a labourer and a resident of Shantipur in Nadia,has been sleeping in a shop located at the mezzanine floor of the Surya Sen complex.

Written by Sulagna Sengupta | Kolkata | Published:February 28, 2013 1:26 am

For the last 15 years,Dinesh Chatterjee,a labourer and a resident of Shantipur in Nadia,has been sleeping in a shop located at the mezzanine floor of the Surya Sen complex. He never ever thought that a fire could engulf the building.

In Wednesday’s fire,he suffered 80 per cent burns and has been admitted to the NRS Medical College and Hospital. “It would have been better if I had died. It is a curse to suffer with burn injuries,” he said. Chatterjee said he works for a shop owner who sells thermocol plates and glasses. “Around 3.10 am I heard a sound. I was sleeping on the floor with other labourers. Suddenly I could not breathe. Smoke engulfed the building. There was a single exit and the door was closed,” he said.

He said he does not know if his relatives have come to the hospital. “When I was admitted I was in a semi-conscious state. The nurses told me that my relatives contacted me,but I don’t know,” he said.

Another labourer,Shankar Debananth,admitted to bed number 71,could not speak. He suffered 70 per cent burns and fractured his hands as he fell down while being rescued. Hospital sources said both of them have been shifted to the surgical sick intensive care unit as their condition is critical. Medical superintendent Saswati Majumder,also confirmed their condition was critical.

Video of the day

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results