Its not only BJPs Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi who has been provided additional commandos for his security by the Central government,there are several others belonging to opposition parties in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab whom the MHA has granted VIP security cover as well.
Unlike his predecessor P Chidambaram who had brought down the number of VIP protectees,present Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde has been quite generous. Since Shinde took over on August 1,2013,as many as 24 political as well as business personalities have been given a VIP security status. In the past year,some key politicians belonging to the opposition who have been given the VIP cover are BSP MP Brajesh Pathak (Z),former MLA of Shiromani Akali Dal Manjinder Singh Kang (Z plus) and former BJP MP Prabhu Dayal Katheria (Y).
With this increase,the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) has asked the MHA to double the strength of their wing. The CISF,which has a dedicated wing the Special Security Group (SSG) to cater to VIP security is short on staff following the additions in the past one year.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
The latest name added to the list is Congress leader Saleem Iqbal Sherwani,who unsuccessfully contested the Lok Sabha elections from Badayun in Uttar Pradesh. Out of the 43 VIPs that the CISF has been asked to protect,19 are from UP and eight from Punjab. We have a sanctioned strength of 1,200 men in the SSG,now with the number of people with VIP status on a rise we decided to write to the MHA to increase our strength. There are some protectees who are to be provided mobile security cover throughout the country. For this we have asked the ministry to increase our strength to 2,400 personnel, said a senior official.
Since it is election season there is an increased movement of these protectees. We have to mobilise our forces in the states where the VIP is travelling to and sometimes we do not have the adequate personnel with us. We can increase the SSG component only after it is cleared by the ministry, said the official.
In June this year,the government set a precedent when it asked the CRPF to provide protection to Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) chairman Mukesh Ambani on a paid basis.