Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed announced that he will not contest presidential polls next week,saying he wants to be a neutral caretaker and ensure the election process continues with greater fairness.
President Waheed had decided not to contest in the re-run of the Presidential Elections scheduled for the 19th of October, Waheeds Press Secretary Masood Imad told PTI.
Waheed had received just over five per cent of the votes in the September 7 elections which were controversially cancelled by the countrys Supreme Court earlier this week. The court had ordered fresh round of presidential polls before October 20.
Waheed took this decision in the greater interest of the country at a time when the integrity of the independent Elections Commission and the election process are being challenged, a statement from the Presidents office said. The President will continue until his term expires on 11 November.
Waheeds withdrawal leaves Mohammed Nasheed who had secured more than 45 per cent of popular vote and Abdulla Yameen in the presidential race.