Russians Friday reeled from the shock announcement by President Vladimir Putin that his 30-year marriage was over,a break-up that was long an open secret but few imagined would ever be made public.
In a highly choreographed joint interview with state TV after attending a ballet together,Putins wife Lyudmila said they were having a civilised divorce and revealed the pair hardly ever saw each other.
Lyudmila said she was grateful to Putin for supporting her,while Putin praised the fact she had stood guard for the almost nine years he has served as president.
We are always going to be very close to each other. I am sure,forever, said the Russian strongman.
It was an extraordinarily frank statement for any Russian politician,whose private lives are generally out of bounds. Particularly for Putin,who lives in such secrecy that he has never been officially photographed with his two adult daughters.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The announcement unleashed speculation about whether Putin is seeing another woman,a subject that has so far been taboo.
Putins spokesman Dmitry Peskov denied the 60-year-old was planning to remarry,telling the Echo of Moscow radio station: I can say for sure that this is more about rumours and tittle-tattle.
The Moskovsky Korrespondent newspaper,owned by tycoon Alexander Lebedev,reported in 2008 that Putin was about to marry Olympic gymnast turned legislator Alina Kabayeva,31 years his junior. The paper then denied its own story and was closed by its owner.