The UP government has sought withdrawal of the criminal case against an absconding alleged HuJI operative Shamim Ahmed,accused of planting a bomb in Varanasi in 2006. The bomb,which did not explode,was found soon after the twin blasts at Sankatmochan Mandir and Varanasi Cantt station in which 21 persons died on March 7,2006.
The third bomb had been planted near Jamuna Fatak in Godaulia,in Dasaswamedh police circle. All the bombs were made by packing explosives in pressure cookers.
The Varanasi police claimed HuJI had planned the blasts. The UP STF arrested Waliullah,the imam of a mosque in Allahabad,on April 5,2006,and said he was the mastermind. Police claimed the blasts were executed by three Bangladeshis with whom Waliullah had studied in Deoband. Waliullah is currently in Dasna jail; the trio were never caught.
In December 2006,the police named Shamim in the chargesheet. Shamim too was never caught.
But in 2008,after the arrest of some alleged Indian Mujahideen members,the UP police said the Varanasi blasts were jointly conducted by HuJI and IM. Mohammad Saif,who was arrested after the Batla House encounter in Delhi on September 19,2008,reportedly admitted that he had planted the Godaulia bomb. The police are yet to file a chargesheet against him.
Instructions have now been issued to the Varanasi district magistrate to file an application in court for withdrawal of the case against Shamim,who has been charged under various sections of the Explosives Act.
Shamim hails from Chandaulis Launda village. Pradhan Khursheed Alam said his parents died around two years ago. Shamims younger brother,Mehnaaj Ahmed,lives in the village and is badly off financially. Shamim left home around 15 years ago. We have not seen him since, said the pradhan,adding that Shamims four other brothers too had left the village.