Two boys out collecting firewood with their donkeys were killed by weapons fired from a NATO helicopter,Afghan and American military officials announced on Saturday.
The new American commander in Afghanistan,Gen. Joseph F Dunford Jr,promptly issued an apology and said the killings were an accident.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The victims,Toor Jan,11,and Andul Wodood,12,were brothers and had been walking behind their donkeys in the Shahed-e-Hasas district of Oruzgan Province when the helicopter fired on them,according to Afghan officials in the district.
General Dunford said coalition forces had opened fire on what they thought were insurgent forces,and killed the boys by accident. I offer my personal apology and condolences to the family of the boys who were killed, General Dunford said. We take full responsibility for this tragedy.
There was some disagreement about the presence of Taliban in the area and about the details of the episode.
Abdullah Himat,a spokesman for the provincial government in Oruzgan,said while the shooting was a mistake,there had been Taliban presence in the area and insurgents had opened fire on the helicopter.