To bring Musharraf to book,Pak to seek Red Corner Notice

Written by Press Trust Of India | Islamabad | Published:February 22, 2012 2:13 am

Pakistan will seek Interpol help to bring back Pervez Musharraf to face trial over former Premier Benazir Bhutto’s assassination,Interior Minister Rehman Malik said Tuesday,a month after the former military ruler deferred indefinitely plans to return home to contest polls.

Musharraf,68,has been accused of failing to provide adequate security to Bhutto,who was murdered in 2007 during his tenure. “The court has already declared him (Musharraf) a proclaimed offender and now the government is moving for a Red (Corner) Notice. We will get him through the Interpol to Pakistan to face trial,” Malik said during a special briefing for members of the assembly of southern Sindh province in Karachi.

The briefing by Malik and senior police and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) officials was aired live by TV news channels. Malik said several attempts to serve notices issued by an anti-terrorism court to Musharraf through the Pakistan High Commission in Britain were unsuccessful.

Musharraf,who has been living in self-exile in London and Dubai since he resigned in 2008,last month deferred indefinitely his plans to return to Pakistan to stage a political comeback,citing security reasons.

Khalid Qureshi,the officer heading the investigation into Bhutto’s assassination by a suicide bomber in Rawalpindi on December 27,2007,said Musharraf was named in the chargesheet as he had failed to provide the “VVIP security” that Bhutto was entitled to as a two-time former Premier.

Security was “deliberately denied by the then government” to Bhutto even though two other former premiers — Shaukat Aziz and Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain — were given protection,Qureshi said.

Bhutto’s aide Mark Siegel had also testified that he was a witness to a “threatening” and “abusive” phone call made by Musharraf to Bhutto before her return to Pakistan in 2007,he added.

Qureshi said after the suicide attacker detonated his explosive vest,there was a “disruption of the police security command” and there were no plans to evacuate her or to take her to a hospital in the event of an attack. “There was absolute chaos after the suicide attack on her vehicle,” Qureshi said. The officers further said two top police officials — Saud Aziz and Khurram Shahzad — were responsible for lapses such as destroying evidence by hosing down the crime scene within hours of the suicide attack.

The briefing by Malik and the officers marked the first time that senior representatives of the federal government have spoken in public about the assassination,but they offered little information that was not already known. Malik and the officers said slain Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Baitullah Mehsud was the alleged mastermind behind the assassination and that the plan for the suicide attack was finalised at Madrassa Haqqani,a Deobandi seminary in Khyber-Paktunkhwa province with long links to militants.

Pakistan crucial to peace talks,says Karzai

KABUL: Pakistani support of negotiations with the Taliban will be “crucial’’ to peace talks,Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Tuesday as he called the neighbouring country to facilitate meetings. Pakistani PM Yousuf Raza Gilani’s office said Pakistan “would wholeheartedly support a peace process in Afghanistan.’’

Pak inducts two US P3C Orion aircraft into navy

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Navy Tuesday inducted two US-made P3C Orion maritime surveillance aircraft,a year after two similar planes were destroyed by terrorists who stormed a strategic naval airbase in Karachi.

House makes domestic violence criminal offence

Islamabad: A landmark Bill,making violence against women and children a criminal offence,was passed by the Pakistani parliament Tuesday. Under the Domestic Violence (Prevention and Protection) Bill,passed by the Senate,those found guilty of beating women or children will face a minimum prison sentence of six months.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.