Terror suspect ends life,family blames ‘harassment’ by police

On bail for 4 yrs,but brother says the police kept dropping by to see him

Written by Sreenivas Janyala | Hyderabad | Published: October 17, 2012 1:52 am

Abdul Razak alias Mansoor,who police say was a Lashkar-e-Toiba member,committed suicide last Wednesday. His family intends to approach the Andhra Pradesh Human Rights Commission,saying harassment by police drove Razak to kill himself.

Razak was an accused in the November 2002 blast at Sai Baba temple in Dilsukhnagar in Hyderabad that killed two persons and injured three. He was also named in the FIRs filed in connection with the attack on the American Center in Kolkata in 2002,and the 2003 Ghatkopar bomb blast in Mumbai. These cases are in various stages of trial.

On Wednesday,Razak was found hanging from a ceiling fan in his two-room home by his landlord. His brother Mohammed Muqeet,a former municipal corporator from their native district of Nizamabad,said he left a suicide note accusing CID and Intelligence Bureau officers of constantly harassing him. Police would call upon him often,Muqeet said,and landlords would then tell him to vacate their houses.

“He had to move homes so many times. People were unwilling to have him as a tenant. Police also used to go to places where he worked,due to which he lost many jobs. He was trying to make a decent living but police were constantly after him asking him to become an informer. My brother committed suicide unable to bear this harassment,’’ Muqeet said. He added Razak was just one example of youths getting trapped in terror cases and losing control of their lives.

Officials of Dilsukhnagar police station where the case was first registered,and CID officers denied harassing Razak. “After he got bail,there was a condition that he would not leave Hyderabad for six months. During that period someone may have gone to check on him,but otherwise we did not pursue him,” an official said.

The Delhi Police had arrested Razak in August 2005 from the city’s Zakir Nagar area,following which the Andhra Pradesh CID took him into custody and brought him to Hyderabad.

In July 2007,Razak was released on bail,which was cancelled after the CID opposed it. In October 2008,he was again released on bail and since then he had been living alone in the Mehdipatnam area of the city. He was not married.

A CID dossier claims that after obtaining a postgraduate degree in Urdu in 1995-96,Razak went to Kashmir and became involved with militant groups. He returned to Nizamabad and in 1997-98,went to Dubai. Police claim he joined the LeT,and in 2001 visited Pakistan for training in explosives,later returning to Hyderabad via Dubai.

Police accuse him and five others of planting a bomb in a scooter and parking it outside the Sai Baba temple on November 21,2002. Two other accused,Mohammed Azam And Imran Saiyed Aziz,were shot dead by the police two days after the blast in an alleged encounter.

Police claim Razak had evaded arrest and fled to Dubai,from where he allegedly directed attacks on the American Center in Kolkata on January 22,2002,and Ghatkopar in July 2003.

Officials also claim that at the time of his arrest from Delhi in August 2005,he was trying to recruit youths.

While Razak got bail in October 2008,police started keeping tabs on him again after July 2011,when the Andhra CID brought former SIMI president Syed Salahuddin Salar for questioning in the Sai Baba temple blast case. Salar had been arrested in June 2011 by the Madhya Pradesh Police from Kochi airport on his way back from Dubai,where he was allegedly hiding out for 10 years.

Razak reportedly again started getting visits from cops at his residence and work place after this.

Denying Razak’s involvement in the case,Muqeet says that he was working in Saudi Arabia at the time of the temple blast. “He was not here so how can he be involved? In fact,when he wanted to renew his visa,he went to Iran where the Indian Embassy told him that his passport was blacklisted. He decided then to return to India and face the case that was filed against him. Police picked him up from New Delhi airport but claim that they arrested him from a house with explosives. It is a lie. He surrendered to the police because he wanted to clear his name as he was falsely implicated,” Muqeet says.

Razak’s father Mohammed Abdul Sattar and Muqeet say Razak had told them several times he was living under constant tension and feared he would be arrested again in other blast cases.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results