Syrian rebels have attacked a village in the countrys east,killing at least 60 Shias,mostly pro-government fighters,activists said Wednesday. A Syrian government official denounced the attack,saying it was a massacre of civilians.
An activist based in Deir el-Zour,however,said the attack was in retaliation for an attack Monday by Shias from Hatla that killed four rebels.
The killings in Hatla village in the eastern Deir el-Zour province,highlight the sectarian nature of Syrias conflict that has killed more than 80,000 people. Most rebels are from the Sunni majority,while Assad has retained support among minorities,including his own Alawite sect,an offshoot of Shia Islam,along with Christians and Shias.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Thousands of rebels took part in the attack on Hatla and at least 10 of them were killed.
The fighting came a week after Syrian troops,backed by Lebanons Shia militia Hezbollah,captured the strategic town of Qusair near the Lebanese border after three weeks of battles that killed dozens.