Syrian rebels have attacked a village in the countrys east,killing at least 60 Shias,mostly pro-government fighters,activists said Wednesday. A Syrian government official denounced the attack,saying it was a massacre of civilians.
An activist based in Deir el-Zour,however,said the attack was in retaliation for an attack Monday by Shias from Hatla that killed four rebels.
The killings in Hatla village in the eastern Deir el-Zour province,highlight the sectarian nature of Syrias conflict that has killed more than 80,000 people. Most rebels are from the Sunni majority,while Assad has retained support among minorities,including his own Alawite sect,an offshoot of Shia Islam,along with Christians and Shias.
Thousands of rebels took part in the attack on Hatla and at least 10 of them were killed.
The fighting came a week after Syrian troops,backed by Lebanons Shia militia Hezbollah,captured the strategic town of Qusair near the Lebanese border after three weeks of battles that killed dozens.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews