The BJP has welcomed the decision to create Telangana,but has demanded the setting up of a second States Reorganisation Commission to look into statehood demands elsewhere in the country.
We have always been in favour of Telangana state, BJP president Rajnath Singh told The Indian Express soon after the Congress Working Committee meeting Tuesday.
Asked about the BJPs position on demands for Gorkhaland or Bodoland,Singh said: We were in favour of the Second States Reorganisation Commission earlier too. We now demand that the government should set it up and seek a report within a specific timeframe.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Earlier in the day,BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar told reporters at the party headquarters that the BJP backed statehood for Vidarbha as well. BJP
supports Telangana and
Vidarbhas demand, Javadekar said.
Aware that the Congress would use Tuesdays decision on Telangana in the Lok Sabha election campaign,the BJP sought to highlight the betrayal of the regions people over the last nine years.
Todays announcement (by the Congress) is the victory of the people of Telangana. BJP has always been in favour of Telangana. Congress promised it in 2004 but dilly-dallied for nine years. It has been a story of the struggle of the people of Telangana and nine years of betrayal by the Congress, Javadekar said.
The NDAs agenda in 1999 had promised the creation of three states,and it was honoured. The Congress,in contrast,made a promise in 2004 but betrayed the people for nine years, the spokesperson said.
He asked the government to expedite the process to bring a state reorganisation Bill for Telangana. We will support the Bill for creation of Telangana in Parliament.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi blogged that the Congress had been neither consistent nor transparent on Telangana.
The Congress Party has done in the last few days what it shied away from doing in the last 9 years to work over time on a decision over Telangana. It is an undisputable fact that Congress Party has neither been consistent nor transparent in its conduct over the creation of a Telangana state. Thus,a Party and a Government that has betrayed the people on the issue of Telangana time and again can hardly be trusted on this issue this time around, Modi said in an open letter to the people.
BJP patriarch L K Advani clarified that the BJP has always been in favour of Telangana,but the NDA government had been unable to create the new state because of the TDPs reservations.
As far as we are concerned,our party is concerned,if Telangana was not formed when we had formed three new states it was only because of our respecting one of our coalition partners. Otherwise we would have done it even then, Advani told reporters on Tuesday.