SC questions CBI on objection to Behura bail

Court says it's not convinced by CBI's objection to granting of bail to former telecom secy.

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: April 10, 2012 12:33 am

The Supreme Court said on Monday it was not convinced by the CBI’s objection to granting of bail to former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura,accused in the 2G scam.

“Most of your evidence is documentary. Why should he be kept in confines? He was influential in office. Now he is not in office. What influence does he have now?” a Bench of Justices GS Singhvi and SJ Mukhopadhaya asked ,adding that “on principle we are not convinced”.

The Bench further asked the bail application to be placed before a Bench of Justices G S Singhvi and H L Dattu,which had earlier granted bail to other accused in the case last year.

The apex court had on January 2 issued notice to CBI on Behura’s bail plea.

Out of the 14 accused in the 2G case,only the prime accused,former telecom minister A Raja and Behura,remain in jail while the 12 other accused,including DMK MP Kanimozi,have been granted bail by different courts.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results