Ahead of the Sochi Olympics in February,Russia is taking saliva samples from religiously conservative Muslim women,according to locals in the North Caucasus,gathering DNA so authorities can identify the body parts if any become suicide bombers.
The move coincides with a drive by President Vladimir Putin to crack down on an Islamist insurgency in Dagestan,a province in the foothills of the Caucasus mountains east of the Winter Games sites in Sochi.
Eight women contacted by Reuters said they had been asked to provide swabs of saliva,which can be used to identify them if they blow themselves up.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Locals said the DNA tests were part of a sweep after a suicide bombing in Makhachkala in May.
Police did not respond to a request for comment.