Chinese police were seeking information Tuesday on two ethnic Uighur suspects believed linked to an apparent suicide car attack near Tiananmen Square in the countrys capital that killed five people and injured 38.
Police released no word about a possible motive for Mondays incident at Beijings Forbidden City,one of Chinas most politically sensitive and heavily guarded public spaces. But investigators sent a notice to hotels in the city aimed at tracing the movements of two suspects,and possibly at uncovering any other conspirators.
It was unclear whether the two Uighurs were believed to have perished in the car or were still at large,and whether they may have been linked to militant groups in the western region of Xinjiang,where radicals have been fighting a low-intensity insurgency against Chinese rule for years.
If Mondays incident was such an attack,it would be the first in recent history outside of Xinjiang,and the boldest and most ambitious given the high-profile target.
The sports utility vehicle veered inside a barrier separating a crowded sidewalk from a busy avenue and then plowed through pedestrians as it sped toward Tiananmen Gate,where it crashed into a stone structure near a large portrait of Mao Zedong which hangs near the entrance to the former imperial palace.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The vehicles three occupants were killed along with two bystanders,including a Filipino woman. The 38 injured included three other Filipinos and a Japanese man,police said.
The gate stands opposite sprawling Tiananmen Square,which was the focus of the 1989 pro-democracy movement that was violently suppressed by the military,and any incident there is highly sensitive.
Zhao Fuzhou,a security official at Beijings Xinjiang Dasha hotel,said police had circulated a notice seeking information about two suspects with Uighur names. A clerk at the Hubei Mansion hotel also confirmed receiving the notice. Employees at other hotels said theyd been told not to discuss the matter.
The notice asked hotels about the two suspects,and to report any suspicious guests or vehicles registered with their establishments going back to October 1. One of the men,identified in the notice as Yusupu Wumaierniyazi,was listed as living in a town in Xinjiang where 24 police and civilians were killed in an attack on June 26.