PM denies Arjun Singh’s allegations on OBC issue

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday denied Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh’s allegations that he did not “defend” him on the OBC reservation issue in 2006....

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published:March 26, 2009 2:02 am

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday denied Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh’s allegations that he did not “defend” him on the OBC reservation issue in 2006,saying all decisions taken by the Cabinet had his full support.

“I have not seen the statement that is attributed to Arjun Singhji. Arjun Singh is a distinguished member of my Cabinet. All decisions taken by the Cabinet naturally has my fullest support. There is no truth in it,” the Prime Minister said in response to queries after releasing the party’s manifesto on Tuesday.

Arjun Singh had,in a letter to Congress President Sonia Gandhi in April 2006,complained to her that a concerted campaign had been let loose on him on the issue of OBC quota.

“I was expecting that there would be some indication from the Hon’ble Prime Minister to discourage such an ill-conceived campaign. But there was no signal,” he said,in a letter published in his biography Ek Sahayatri Itihas Ka that will be released soon.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results
    Express Adda