PC usage in urban India doubles in three years

Personal computer penetration in urban India has doubled in the last three years from 19% to 38% across affluent and middle income households...

Written by Fe Bureau | Bangalore | Published:August 20, 2010 12:29 am

Personal computer (PC) penetration in urban India has doubled in the last three years from 19% to 38% across affluent and middle income households — technically called SEC A,B and C — a new study by market research firm IMRB for chipmaker Intel states. Nearly 28 million households in urban India now have a PC.

Penetration of PCs in SEC B and SEC C,though on a smaller base,has increased over 100%. The study said there was a dramatic shift in PC desirability from 35% to 57% amongst SEC A-C households.

Concentration and fragmentation paradox is most pronounced in the PC market with the top 76 cities accounting for nearly 55% of the recent home computer purchases with the remaining 45% of the purchases being made by consumers from across 4,500 cities. The study was conducted across 82 cities sampling over 19,000 households.

The study found that in 2006,41% of the PC non-owners opted to put desktops in their wishlist while only a mere 17% opted for notebooks. However,in 2009 the percentage of non owners opting for notebooks in their wishlist doubled to 31% while those opting for a desktop PC stayed relatively flat at 44%.

“The quantum jump in PC desirability is across user profiles,socio-economic segments as well as town classes,which reiterates the universal acceptance and relevance of computers in enhancing today and shaping a better tomorrow,” Prakash Bagri,director (marketing),Intel South Asia,said.

Video of the day

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results