Pak violates ceasefire again,targets Rajouri,Poonch posts

The firing from Pakistani troops began in Mendhar sector around 3 am and continued till 6 am

Written by Express News Service | Jammu | Published: August 26, 2013 1:49 am

Targeting forward Indian positions in Rajouri,Mendhar and Poonch sectors,Pakistani troops continued “unprovoked” firing and mortar shelling from across the Line of Control on Sunday.

The firing from Pakistani troops began in Mendhar sector around 3 am and continued till 6 am after Indian troops retaliated,Defence Ministry spokesman,Colonel R K Palta said.

An hour and a half later,Pakistani troops targeted Indian positions in BG sector. The Indian Army retaliated and the exchange of fire continued till 11.30 am,he added.

On Saturday night heavy firing was reported in Balakote sector of Poonch. The provocation came from Pakistani troops,who attacked the Indian side with heavy caliber weapons from 7.10 pm to 10.30 pm,Col Palta said.

Relations between the two countries have been strained ever since the killing of five Indian soldiers in Chakkan Da Bagh area of Poonch by Pakistan’s Border Action Team (BAT) — comprising regular troopers and terrorists — on August 6. There have been reports of unprovoked firing and mortar shelling along the LoC every day for the last 20 days. Three Army men and nearly half a dozen civilians have been injured on the Indian side so far.

The tension has adversely hit cross LoC trade and travel on the Poonch-Rawalakote road through Chakkan Da Bagh.

Firing from the Pakistani side continues despite warnings of a “strong retaliation’’ from the Indian side.

While India is accusing Pakistan of resorting to unprovoked firing on its forward positions along the LoC,the latter deny the charge.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.