In a comprehensive response to Pakistans queries on the Mumbai terror attack,India today handed over voluminous information to Islamabad,which addresses most of the 30 points raised by it but does not include the confessional statement of captured terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab for legal reasons.
The detailed response,running into 401 pages,was given to Pakistans High Commissioner Shahid Malik by Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon. Sources said the response contained 21 sets of annexure,including video footage of the CCTV cameras installed at Taj and Oberoi hotels,colour photographs and DNA reports of all the ten attackers,and transcripts of their telephonic conversations with their handlers in Pakistan.
A copy of Kasabs confessional statement made before a magistrate,which formed the first of the 30-point list sent by Pakistan on February 12,could not be given at this point of time because the government does not have the court permission to do so. The government is likely to ask the court for permission when his case comes up next,sources said.
Home Minister P Chidambaram,who earlier in the day handed over the document containing Indias response to Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee,however,told reporters that each of Pakistans queries had been adequately addressed.
We have put together answers to 30 questions submitted by Pakistan. It is a very comprehensive document,answering each of the 30 questions… We expect Pakistan to take investigations forward quickly,apprehend all the culprits and either hand them over to India for prosecution and punishment or prosecute them and punish them in Pakistan, Chidambaram said.
The Ministry of External Affairs,in a statement,said it was Indias hope and expectation that this step will lead to bringing the perpetrators of Mumbai attacks to justice and to credible action by Government of Pakistan against the infrastructure of terrorism in that country.
Besides replying to Pakistans queries,New Delhi is also learnt to have sought information from Islamabad on its arrests of eight suspects in connection with the Mumbai attacks.
This is the second set of information that India has provided to Pakistan to substantiate its claims that the Mumbai attacks were carried out and handled by Pakistani nationals. India had given the first dossier on January 5,which Pakistan described as containing insufficient evidence. Pakistans set of 30 questions had come in response to that dossier.
Among other things,Pakistan had wanted to more detailed information on the documents/diaries recovered from the terrorists,their fingerprints,photographs of the weapons used by them,including the engravings on those weapons,cell phone and satellite phone records,intercepted voice recordings identified by Kasab as that of Abu Hamza,personal belongings of the terrorists,and headers of the email received from email@example.com. All these and more are included in Indias response,sources said.
Climbdown deal: Zardari may return Punjab rule to Sharif party
• Pak President Asif Ali Zardari may let Nawaz Sharifs PML-N regain leadership of Punjab as part of deal to save his government
• Progress in ending crisis followed talks between Zardari and Army chief Gen Kayani. Sharifs party may be asked to elect a new CM
• Aides said mechanics would be worked out in a meeting between PM Gilani and Sharifs brother Shahbaz. Issue of reinstatement of judges still being worked out
• Police continued to crack down on opposition activists and lawyers marching on Islamabad for a sit-in Monday outside Parliament