Officials to forego weekends in hunt for coal files

The 29 missing files will have to be handed to the CBI within two weeks beginning August 29.

Written by Priyadarshi Siddhanta | New Delhi | Published: September 6, 2013 2:52 am

As pressure from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) over the missing files on coal block allocations mounts,coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal has asked the ministry’s top brass to forego holidays and intensify the hunt for the files.

At an urgent meeting convened on Thursday to take stock of the progress in retrieving the 29 missing files,Jaiswal is learnt to have expressed displeasure on the pace of the search.

A senior government official,who attended the meeting,told The Indian Express that Jaiswal directed that the hunt for the files by a search committee headed by his ministry’s additional secretary AK Dubey should be intensified.

“The minister asked top coal ministry officials to attend office during the weekend as well as on holidays to trace the missing files,which will have to be handed over to the CBI within two weeks as per Attorney General GE Vahanvati’s missive to the ministry following the Supreme Court’s order on August 29,” the official said.

The steel ministry has also constituted a search committee to trace missing files of 15 steel companies having coal blocks and locate their applications,the official said.

While the hunt is continuing at Coal India’s Delhi and Kolkata offices and in Shastri Bhawan,New Delhi,which houses the coal ministry,the search panel has registered limited success is tracing 30 documents so far from the headquarters of the Central Mine Planning and Design Institute in Ranchi.

The final minutes of the 26th Screening Committee remains untraceable and the ministry has also not provided the scrutiny report regarding the financial strength of the applicant companies prepared by Coal India,the CBI has said.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results