The Supreme Court judgment cancelling the 2G telecom licences could lead to delays in decision making with a general agreement that more caution must be exercised,Nationalist Congress Party president and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said Friday.
He said while the 2G scam case and the judgment had brought disrepute to the government and would lead to the global investor community questioning the credibility of processes in the country,the judgment had not passed any strictures against either the UPA government or Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh.
Reading out excerpts from the judgment,Pawar said,Singh had in fact written to Raja in November 2007 requesting the then telecom minister to give due consideration to issues raised regarding transparency in the spectrum allocation process…. The judges have said Raja did not pay heed to the suggestion of the PM… The judgment has not said anything against the person heading this government.
In addition,the decision-making process across the government could see delays henceforth with every minister expected to exercise utmost caution. I can say so citing my own example, he said,adding that he had instructed his officers to stop issuing discretionary contracts and instead ensure a second scrutiny of processes and documents.
Pointing out that at least one telecom operator had already stated that they had followed due processes and been penalised despite doing so as the court had found fault with the government processes,Pawar said investors across the world were discussing the major judgment.
On the latest allegations of corruption against senior NCP minister Praful Patel,Pawar said the facts of the case indicate that there was no monetary consideration involved as the contract was never passed. I have seen the report and it says explicitly that there is no evidence to substantiate the allegations being made by this person, he said.