NCTC may be kept out of IB

Rethink: Power of arrest,search,seizure only in ‘exceptional’ cases

Written by Rahul Tripathi | New Delhi | Published: July 13, 2012 2:46 am

Giving in to protests by various state governments,the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has kept the National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC) out of the ambit of the Intelligence Bureau (IB) in its revised proposal which is likely to be taken up by the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) after the July 19 presidential election.

While the other contentious provision regarding the NCTC’s “power of arrest,search and seizure” has been left untouched,officials said the appended guidelines will state that the power will only be used in “exceptional” cases,and the standard operating procedures will be duly followed and intimated to state governments.

“The information regarding the arrest,search or seizure will be communicated at the earliest to the DGP. This could be done when the operations are on or as soon as the arrests are made. However,these operations will not be carried out routinely and will be done only in exceptional cases,” said an official.

During a meeting called by the Centre in May this year,many chief ministers had expressed the fear that the NCTC’s powers in this regard would violate the principle of federalism. The state governments had also opposed the proposal to include the NCTC under the IB,with its head reporting to the IB director.

According to the new proposal,the NCTC will be headed by an additional director general of police. Sources said the officer will be selected from the IB. The NCTC will be housed inside the MHA’s office.

MHA sources said the final decision regarding the formation of the NCTC had been taken and no more consultations are planned with state governments.

While the MHA had announced that the NCTC would be set up on March 1,the move had to be deferred following strong objections from various quarters.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results