Nine highly decomposed bodies were found stacked on top of each other in a ditch at Pachaspura,six km from the Dimapur DC office complex,Friday afternoon. The victims had been blindfolded,with their hands tied behind and shot in the head from a close range,Karbi Anglong SP Mugdha Jyoti said.
One of the bodies has been identified as a Karbi youth from the adjoining Karbi Anglong district in Assam. With the Nagaland police confirming that the bodies bore bullet marks,the Assam Police now suspect that the killings were related to the on-going clash between Karbi and Rengma communities in the Assam district.
Meanwhile,a person belonging to the Karbi community was killed when three miscreants opened fire in Kalagaon village under Bokajan police station in Karbi Anglong district around 7 pm Saturday.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
We have identified one of the bodies to be that of one Harlangbi Ingti (23) of Rongkimi village under Bokajan police station in Karbi Anglong district. He was a student who also had a broiler farm,and had remained missing since December 28 when he had gone to Dimapur in Nagaland for shopping, Mahanta said on Saturday.
Four more persons all Karbis working as construction labourers in Kohima have been reported missing since December 30 after they had informed their families back in Karbi Anglong that they were heading home for New Year,Mahanta said. With all the nine bodies suspected to be of Karbi tribals from Assam,Mahanta added that they might have been killed in retaliation to the attack on Rengma villages in the Assam district. The Rengma is a Naga community with about 10,000 people in Assam and about 60,000 in Nagaland.
Meanwhile,Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio announced setting up a 4-member Special Investigating Team (SIT) headed by DIG Liremo Lotha to probe into the killings. Condemning the crime as heinous and repugnant to all norms of civilized human behavior Rio also appealed to the people to remain calm and maintain peace.
The Nagaland government also constituted a 3-member high-powered committee headed by state law secretary KN Chisi to carry out a parallel probe.
Karbi Anglong district has been witnessing violence in the Chokihola and Borpathar police station areas for the past one week after heavily armed militants belonging to the Karbi Peoples Liberation Tigers (KPLT) had raided two Rengma villages and gunned down nine persons on December 27. Several villages had also been set afire,forcing over 2,000 Rengma Nagas to flee.
Meanwhile,the Naga Peoples Movement for Human Rights (NPMHR),Karbi Human Rights Watch (KHRW) and Indigenous Women Forum of North East India (IWFNEI) have appealed to both Rengma and Karbi communities to refrain from provoking each other and come together to identify the factor which triggered the recent spate of violence in Karbi Anglong.