Mohammed Qasim Sheikh alias Bangali,said to be the main accused in the photojournalists gangrape last week,was a regular police informer. Call data records of Qasims mobile phone have shown over 50 calls between him and a constable with the Agripada police in the past one month alone,Mumbai Police sources said.
Qasim was arrested from the terrace of Nair Hospital in central Mumbai in the early hours of Sunday. Police realised he was an informer while running background checks on him before and after the arrest.
We were analysing Qasims CDRs while trying to trace him,and were going through the contacts he has had the most number of conversations with over the past few months to get an idea of his close friends. A number that figured nearly 60 times in the CDRs of the last one month belongs to a constable with the Agripada police. We made further inquiries after his arrest and learned that he was an informant, a Crime Branch officer said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The same constable had,on the day after the crime,rung up Qasim on his mobile phone and asked him to meet for some personal work. Qasim,however,got suspicious and went into hiding. It was Qasim that Vijay Jadhav and Salim Ansari called first after identifying the photojournalist and her friend as easy targets.
The trio had decided that Qasim would pose as the boss whom the photojournalist would have to meet if she wanted to take pictures in the Shakti Mills compound, said an officer. It was Qasim who spun the yarn about a murder in the area,and accused the womans colleague of being involved, the officer added.