A youth and his elder sister were charred to death when a fire broke out in a private hospital in Moradabad district on Sunday morning.
Their bodies were found in a niche,about 3 feet deep,near the stairs where the exhaust fan connected to the split air conditioning system was placed,and,which too,had caught fire.
The police suspect Nadeem Akhtar (25) and Nikhat Aara (27) accidentally fell into the niche while running to the terrace amid heavy smoke. Both were in the Vinayak Orthopedics Centre attending to their mother Bashar Jahan,who was admitted there a day before. The police suspect the fire broke out due to short circuit. Fire tenders were pressed into service. It took around two hours for the firemen and police to bring the situation under control. An inquiry has been ordered.
Station Officer of Civil Lines police station Hindveer Singh said the postmortem report of both the victims stated they died from burning. Since it was not possible to come out of the building through the main gate,because the fire had spread there,people ran to the terrace and crossed over to the adjacent building, he said. The patients have been shifted to a private hospital.