A Manipur Rifles personnel was killed and 17 others,including a superintending engineer and nine security personnel,were injured in separate explosions in Chandel and Imphal West districts of Manipur on Sunday,officials said.
They said suspected insurgents ambushed an official team,including the superintending engineer and Manipur Rifles personnel of 8th Battalion escorting them,by exploding two bombs and opening fire at a place between Khudengtabi and Kwatha Lamkhai,about 110 km south-east of here,at around 7.45 am.
An Army personnel,identified as Sushil Singh,was killed on the spot and 10 persons six Manipur Rifles personnel and four civilians including the engineer were injured by bomb splinters,sources said,adding the team was returning to Imphal from the border town of Moreh after inspecting the condition of some roads in the area.
Official reports from Chandel district said the injured civilians included an assistant engineer and two drivers.
All the injured were taken to a hospital in Imphal,they said,adding the condition of some of them was stated to be serious. Four hours later,suspected insurgents also exploded a powerful bomb attached to a vehicle at the roadside at Sekmai area in Imphal West district injuring three CRPF personnel and four civilians,sources said,adding that condition of the injured was not stated to be serious.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
No individual or group has claimed responsibility though the spots where the explosions took place were the operating zone of insurgents of different groups. The police said security and police forces rushed to both the spots after the explosions were reported and launched massive search operations by blocking all exit points. The insurgents,who reportedly exploded the bombs by using remote control device,escaped into the nearby thick jungles and hilly areas.