As campaigning came to a close in Madhya Pradesh on Saturday ahead of Mondays polls,the Congress partys hopes were clear on the posters across this region: Jan jan ki yahi pukaar,mukhya mantri Jyotiraditya Scindia abki baar (The call everywhere is for Jyotiraditya Scindia as Chief Minister).
The 42-year-old Guna MP has emerged as the main challenger to Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan,who is seeking to beat 10 years of anti-incumbency by reminding people of the reign of Shreeman Bantadhaar Digvijaya Singh marked by potholes,power outages,firing on farmers and so on.
Criticising the BJPs strategy to target Digvijaya,Scindia,in an interview to The Sunday Express,said,You (Chouhan) have been there for 10 years. Talk about yourself. You spend Rs 300 crore on ad campaigns on Atal Jyoti Abhiyan. Where is the electricity? There are cases against 13 ministers but not one resignation,not one chargesheet,not one FIR.
As for Chouhans attempt to portray himself as a farmers son through his Mama versus Maharaj slogans,Scindia said,You said it. That is what it is ex-royal. We are in the 21st century. I had the honour of studying in good institutions. I worked for a living for seven years as a banker… As for my family background,of course,I am proud of my family legacy of public service. If I go back to the history of my family,they were farmers and sons of the soil. They were Patels (village heads) of Kanekha village in Satara district of Maharashtra. That was how my family started,and worked hard to later join the Maratha army. They rose through the ranks and that is the history of hard work,not of what many would believe as samantwaad.
Appointed Congress campaign committee chief in September,Scindia criss-crossed the state,addressing about 135 public meetings and rallies. What,however,is the talk of the town here are his two meetings in favour of the Congress candidate contesting against his aunt Yashodhara Raje in Shivpuri. Asked whether he had broken any unwritten Scindia family code of not campaigning against a family member,Jyotiraditya said,I am a Congress worker. I must do what my job as Campaign committee chief entails. Thats what I did.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Yashodhara told The Sunday Express: In my parliamentary elections also,he (Jyotiraditya) had campaigned against me. I have not gone to his Guna parliamentary constituency though. He must have his compulsions. So be it.
While the BJPs campaign strategy centred around Chouhan as a mascot of development,integrity and probity in public life,the Congress sought to shift the focus to local issues and local candidates.
After an impressive three-hour roadshow in the city,which coincided with Narendra Modis rally there,as Scinida reached the INTUC ground at Azeera on Thursday evening,he targeted the Chouhan governments development claims. Swarnam Madhya Pradesh,jahan Prof Sabharwal ki hatya,Dronacharya ki hatya,ABVP ke students ne kar di…Swarnam Madhya Pradesh jahan mining mafia ne IPS officer ka sar tractor se kuchal diya…Swarnam Mahya Pradesh jahan (RTI activist) Sheela Masood ki hatya ho… He used Swarnam Madhya Pradesh mockingly over 50 times in his 45-minute speech.
I am not an astrologer but I believe the Congress will form the government. Chouhan has failed to deliver on the promises he made to the people. You go and check yourself what development they have done. Its total hogwash, said Scindia. While many of his party colleagues also predict a close finish,the common refrain is that the Congress may have started too late. Scindia himself was appointed campaign committee chief only in September.
Asked about his projection as the partys CM candidate,he said,I am very clear. People always accused my father of being un-ambitious. I also believe in focusing on the responsibility entrusted to me by my party leadership and I dont think beyond that. My responsibility is to make sure that we work as a team and what happens after that is anybodys guess. My pursuit in life is to ensure development and well-being of people and not positioning for myself.