LoC incidents have hit talks with Pak: MEA

Stressing that upholding of the sanctity of the LoC is vital and is one of the most important confidence-building measures

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: August 14, 2013 12:49 am

A week after five Indian soldiers were killed at the Line of Control (LoC),the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Tuesday gave the clearest signal that the dialogue process between India and Pakistan has been hit.

Stressing that upholding of the sanctity of the LoC is vital and is one of the most important confidence-building measures (CBMs) between the two countries,MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said,“Unprovoked incidents on the LoC naturally have consequences for bilateral relations.”

In his weekly briefing,Akbaruddin said that India had received a proposal from Pakistan for holding secretary-level dialogue in July. He said,“..for a peaceful dialogue to proceed,we need an environment free of violence and terror. And certainly what happened last week does not fit into that.” However,he added that there was no timeline to the talks. “We are considering these things. We will take a call in due time,” Akbaruddin said.

Separately,External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said India was still in a sense of shock over ceasefire violations by Pakistan in Jammu & Kashmir and called for peace and tranquility on the border. “There is a sense of disappointment. We first need to get back to normal. There has to be peace and tranquility on the border. Ceasefire should not be violated,” Khurshid told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.”

On the proposed meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York in September,was “quite a distance away” and asked everybody to be patient.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results