Limits of vitamin D supplements
A large review of studies has found that vitamin D supplements have little or no benefit beyond the low levels required for bone health. The meta-analysis,published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology,combined data from 290 observational studies and 172 random trials. All the studies used blood levels of vitamin D to measure outcomes. Dosages varied,but most trials used 800 units or more. The observational studies generally found an association of lower vitamin D levels with increases in cardiovascular disease,lipid concentrations,glucose levels,weight gain,infectious disease and mood disorders. But random trials showed little or no effect of vitamin D supplements on any of these problems. The authors conclude that low vitamin D levels are almost surely an effect of these diseases,and not a cause.
Idea of healthy obesity tested
New York: The idea that there are obese people who are nonetheless healthy may be a myth.
Although some overweight or obese people have normal cholesterol,glucose levels and blood pressure – elements of so-called metabolic health – a new study suggests that obesity by itself increases the risk for heart disease,stroke,diabetes and death. Researchers analysed 12 studies that had together followed more than 61,000 adults,most for at least 10 years. About 9 per cent of the subjects were obese and metabolically healthy – that is,they had normal LDL,HDL and total cholesterol,along with healthy blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Compared with metabolically healthy people of normal weight,the obese group had a 24 per cent increased risk for fatal and non-fatal cardiovascular events like heart attack and stroke,and for death by any cause.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016