Wholesale inflation dropped for a fourth straight month in May to a more than three-year low of 4.70% from 4.89% in April on cheaper manufactured and fuel products,showed the data released by the industry ministry on Friday.
Still,analysts reckon the central bank will likely refrain from trimming the benchmark lending rate in its next policy review meeting on June 17 despite the calls to stimulate growth,thanks to a weakening rupee.
The estimate for March was also revised down to 5.65% from 5.96% announced earlier,showed the data. Wholesale inflation last month,however,was also sharply lower than the 9.31% rise in consumer inflation for May.
Inflation in manufactured items,which have a 65% weightage in the inflation basket,slowed to a 41-month low of 3.11% in May,compared with 3.41% a month before. Fuel products saw a 7.32% inflation last month,compared with 8.84% in April.
However,after the fourth straight month of decline through April,wholesale food inflation–which has also been a major driver of retail inflation due to a high weightage in the consumer price inflation index–picked up to 8.25% in May from 6.08% a month before as prices of onion and cereals surged.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Sharp price rise in food items has been blamed in recent months for the elevated reading in retail inflation,as such products have a higher weightage in the consumer price inflation index than the wholesale price index.
Inflation drops to 4.7 pc in May
(PTI) The WPI-based inflation fell to 4.7 per cent in May,driven mainly by declining prices of manufactured items,even as prices of food articles inched up.
Inflation based on the Wholesale Price Index (WPI) stood at 4.89 per cent in April. In May,2012,it was 7.55 per cent.
As per official data released today, WPI inflation in the manufactured items category declined to 3.11 per cent in May from 3.41 per cent in April.
The non-food articles category,which include fibre,oil seeds and minerals,saw sharp decline in inflation to 4.88 per cent,from 7.59 per cent in April.
However,inflation in food articles category,which has a 14.34 per cent share in the WPI basket,rose to 8.25 per cent in May. Inflation in this category was at 6.08 per cent in April.
The rise in food inflation was on account of increase in prices of onions,vegetables,cereals and protein-based items.
Inflation in vegetables stood at 4.85 per cent in May,against (-)9.05 per cent in the previous month.
The rate of price rise in onion was high at 97.40 per cent for the month,as against inflation rate of 91.69 per cent in April.
Inflation for March was revised downwards to 5.65 per cent from 5.96 per cent as per provisional estimates.
The inflation data would be closely watched by the Reserve Bank while formulating its mid-quarter policy which is scheduled on Monday.
There have been demands for a lower interest rate in the backdrop of declining inflation.
Finance Ministry sources,commenting on inflation numbers,said they would want lower interest rates and monetary policy transmission.
While the Reserve Bank has lowered interest rates by 1.30 per cent since January 2012,the banks have cut lending rates by only 0.30 per cent.
The data released today showed inflation in egg,meat and fish stood at 11.21 per cent during the month as compared to 10.44 per cent in April.
Inflation in wheat,however,eased to 12.65 per cent in May,as against 13.89 per cent in the previous month. Potatoes too saw decline to (-)3.44 per cent,from (-)2.42 per cent in April.
Pulses prices declined sharply to 5.95 per cent during the month.
Inflation rate in rice and cereals went up to 18.48 per cent and 16.01 per cent respectively in May.
For the fuel and power category,it was lower at 7.32 per cent in May as compared to 8.84 per cent in April,2013.
Data released earlier this week showed retail inflation falling to a 15-month low of 9.31 per cent in May,indicating that inflationary expectation is on declining trend.
However,food articles inflation was higher even in CPI data.