In its first foreign secretary-level meeting with Pakistan after the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks,India on Thursday asked Islamabad to do more to bring the perpetrators to book and take credible action to dismantle the resources of terrorists.
Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon held talks with his Pakistani counterpart Salman Bashir on the sidelines of the 36th session of the SAARC Standing Committee in Colombo. He conveyed Indias firm stance with regard to the Mumbai attacks and insisted on the need for some positive results.
We have recognised what Pakistan has done,but there is a lot more to be done. We need to see them move forward, Menon told Colombo-based Indian journalists.
They should bring the Mumbai attack perpetrators and take credible action to dismantle the resources of the terrorists in their own county, he said. We need some positive results. It is not an easy situation. We will judge them (Pakistan) by what they do, he said. Asked whether the foreign ministers of both the countries would meet in Colombo on the sidelines of the Inter-Summit Sessions of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation Council of Ministers meeting,Menon said: Nothing has been decided so far.
Stressing that India had no problem with the people of Pakistan,he said India knew Pakistan had started a legal process while India had started one on its own.
We are obviously in a new phase of relationship after the Mumbai attack,though we kept our dialogue going. For us,the Mumbai attack has changed the situation entirely, he added.
There is a civilian government and they need to demonstrate, Menon said.
Meanwhile,in New Delhi,External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday night said India would respond to Pakistans queries on the investigation into the Mumbai terror attacks whenever it was in a position to do so.