The value of shares pledged by the promoters of listed India Inc reached Rs 1.4 lakh crore level at the end of last fiscal,with one in every five firms having some part of their promoter holdings encumbered.
The companies from industrial sectors accounted for the largest amount of pledged shares,followed by healthcare and consumer discretionary segments,a report by financial services major Edelweiss said today.
“At Q4FY13-end,from the universe of 3,861 companies that have declared their shareholding,promoters of 788 companies (over 20 per cent) have pledged part of their holdings.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“Value of pledged holding stands at Rs 1.4 lakh crore during the quarter,” said the report tiled Pledge: Risk ‘O’ Meter’.
Pledging has been active in some of the capital-intensive industries owing to limited sources of funds.
Promoters of companies,at times,in order to raise capital for business purposes pledge their shares with lenders as collateral. If the company defaults on payments,the lenders can recover the cost by selling pledged shares in the open market.
In early 2009,Sebi made it mandatory to disclose pledge share data,and since then this data has been under the scanner of the investor community.
Among the major companies,those with a substantial portion of promoter holdings pledged included United Spirits (about 96.95 per cent),HDIL (96.11 per cent) and Unitech (75.72 per cent). Promoters pledge in United Spirits and HDIL has been above 90 per cent for three quarters now,it said.
Among the Nifty-50 companies,Asian Paints had the highest promoter pledge,although it declined from 17.67 per cent to nearly 15.48 per cent during the last quarter.
The other companies with significant promoter pledging included Essar Ports (99.74 per cent),Pipavav Defence (96.98 per cent),Wockhardt (87.06 per cent),Jaypee Infratech (67.3 per cent) and Fortis Healthcare (63.77 per cent).
These also included Suzlon Energy,Pipavav Defence,Era Infra Engg,Unitech,India Cements,Future Retail,Lanco Infratech,Omaxe,Dish TV and JSW Steel.