The value of shares pledged by the promoters of listed India Inc reached Rs 1.4 lakh crore level at the end of last fiscal,with one in every five firms having some part of their promoter holdings encumbered.
The companies from industrial sectors accounted for the largest amount of pledged shares,followed by healthcare and consumer discretionary segments,a report by financial services major Edelweiss said today.
“At Q4FY13-end,from the universe of 3,861 companies that have declared their shareholding,promoters of 788 companies (over 20 per cent) have pledged part of their holdings.
“Value of pledged holding stands at Rs 1.4 lakh crore during the quarter,” said the report tiled Pledge: Risk ‘O’ Meter’.
Pledging has been active in some of the capital-intensive industries owing to limited sources of funds.
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
Promoters of companies,at times,in order to raise capital for business purposes pledge their shares with lenders as collateral. If the company defaults on payments,the lenders can recover the cost by selling pledged shares in the open market.
In early 2009,Sebi made it mandatory to disclose pledge share data,and since then this data has been under the scanner of the investor community.
Among the major companies,those with a substantial portion of promoter holdings pledged included United Spirits (about 96.95 per cent),HDIL (96.11 per cent) and Unitech (75.72 per cent). Promoters pledge in United Spirits and HDIL has been above 90 per cent for three quarters now,it said.
Among the Nifty-50 companies,Asian Paints had the highest promoter pledge,although it declined from 17.67 per cent to nearly 15.48 per cent during the last quarter.
The other companies with significant promoter pledging included Essar Ports (99.74 per cent),Pipavav Defence (96.98 per cent),Wockhardt (87.06 per cent),Jaypee Infratech (67.3 per cent) and Fortis Healthcare (63.77 per cent).
These also included Suzlon Energy,Pipavav Defence,Era Infra Engg,Unitech,India Cements,Future Retail,Lanco Infratech,Omaxe,Dish TV and JSW Steel.