India,China to resume joint military exercises

Antony also announced that he had accepted an invitation to visit Beijing next year.

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: September 5, 2012 12:45 am

India and China have agreed to resume military exercises that had been frozen after a series of spats related to military ties in 2010. The decision to conduct a joint army exercise at the earliest—most likely next year—was announced after talks between Defence Minister A K Antony and his Chinese counterpart Gen Liang Guanglie in Delhi on Tuesday.

Antony also announced that he had accepted an invitation to visit Beijing next year. Describing the talks that lasted for over 90 minutes as “very fruitful and candid”,Antony said they took a mutual decision to revive the exercises. A ministry spokesperson said the next round of joint exercises would take place soon.

There was no major takeaway from the talks and the two sides discussed most bilateral issues,including the border dispute. “We have reached important consensus on strategic issues and cooperation in promoting friendly ties,including between our armed forces,” said Gen Liang.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results