• Associate Sponsor

HC gives nod to youth for sex change surgery

In an order that would enable Bidhan Barua to undergo a sex change operation,the Bombay High Court asked the police to provide him protection if they felt it was necessary

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai | Published: May 8, 2012 12:45 am

In an order that would enable Bidhan Barua (21) to undergo a sex change operation,the Bombay High Court on Monday asked the police to provide him protection if they felt it was necessary.

“If he (Barua) is a major,he should not be hindered from doing what he wishes,” said Justice S J Vazifdar.

Barua approached the court after his parents allegedly threatened doctors at the Saifee Hospital,telling them not to perform the operation. According to him,the doctors refused to operate upon him until he got an order from the HC.

The court asked Barua to apply to the local police station asking for protection and asked the police to provide him protection if considered necessary.

The directions came after both the Union and state governments told the court that they would not come in the way of the sex reassignment procedure that Barua wishes to undergo.

The state government claimed that Barua had written to the Mumbai Police Commissioner and that he had not faced any threats since then. The government pleader appearing in the case questioned whether Barua had proceeded to file a petition in the court “only for publicity”.

Barua,who hails from Guwahati,moved the court last week seeking its intervention to enable him to get the surgery done. He claimed that he is a woman trapped inside a man’s body,and that he realised early in life that he was “born in the wrong sex”.

Barua,who prefers to call himself ‘Swati’,wishes to marry an Indian Air Force flight lieutenant.

On May 2,after the High Court declined to hear his petition immediately,Barua even threatened to commit suicide in a letter addressed to the High Court Chief Justice,the Chief Justice of India and the National Human Rights Commission. In his letter,he said that the High Court Chief Justice would be responsible if he was compelled to take his own life.

However,the court later summoned his lawyer Ejaz Naqvi and asked him “not to put undue pressure on the court.” The judges asked him to understand the difficulties faced by the court.

Naqvi told The Indian Express that Barua will now get himself admitted to the hospital in around two days.

“Unfortunately,he will not be able to get married on May 10,as earlier planned. But at least now he will be able to go ahead with his plans,” said Naqvi.

Barua was unavailable for comment.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.
Adda