Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Sunday accused the Taliban and the US of working in concert to convince Afghans that violence will worsen if most foreign troops leave an allegation the top American commander in Afghanistan rejected as categorically false.
Karzai said two suicide bombings that killed 19 people on Saturday one outside the Afghan Defence Ministry and the other near a police checkpoint in eastern Khost province show the insurgent group is conducting attacks to demonstrate that international forces will still be needed to keep the peace after their current combat mission ends in 2014.
The explosions in Kabul and Khost yesterday showed that they are at the service of America and at the service of this phrase: 2014. They are trying to frighten us into thinking that if the foreigners are not in Afghanistan,we would be facing these sorts of incidents, he said during a nationally televised speech about the state of Afghan women.
Karzai is known for making incendiary comments in his public speeches,a tactic that is often attributed to him trying to appeal to Taliban sympathisers or to gain leverage when he feels his international allies are ignoring his countrys sovereignty.
US and NATO forces commander Gen Joseph Dunford said Karzai had never expressed such views to him. We have fought too hard over the past 12 years,we have shed too much blood over the last 12 years,to ever think that violence or instability would be to our advantage, Dunford said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Karzais latest comments come during US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagels first visit to Afghanistan since becoming the Pentagon chief,a trip made in part to meet with Karzai. Hours after Karzais speech,their joint news conference was cancelled by officials citing security concerns,though officials said the two men still planned to meet privately.
Karzai said in his speech that any foreign powers that want to keep troops in Afghanistan need to do so under conditions set forward by Afghanistan.We will tell them where we need them,and under which conditions. They must respect our laws. They must respect the national sovereignty of our country and must respect all our customs, Karzai said.
Karzai offered no proof of coordination,but said the Taliban and the US were in daily negotiations in various foreign countries and noted that the US has said that it no longer considers the insurgent group its enemy.
Karzai said he did not believe the Talibans claim that they launched Saturdays attacks to show they are still a potent force fighting the US.